Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping up with the Joneses

Options
Well I know I have mentioned it a few times lately but here is some photo evidence of me playing catch-up after being off the forum for a few years and finding out what you were all up to.

1. Bought and read Franklin's book cover to cover like it was my job.
2. Went to dealer and found an "open box buy" on some eggmate side tables. (Thanks Herman's Boy)
3. Bought new gasket from @RRP  and purchased supplies off Amazon.  I wanted a really clean edge so I ended up going to Menards to buy additional pumice sticks.  I had no idea they break down that quickly.  Meneards had them for $1.88 each.
4. Purchased Smokeware SS Chimney
5. Made a thermoworks purchase.
6. When cleaning out the egg I noticed my firebowl and fire grate cracked on the last cook i did.  I wondered why larger pieces of burning lump was falling to the bottom of my egg.  Dealer should let me know shortly if it is covered under warranty.  (Firegrate tossed and replaced with KAB)

On one of the pics you can see the gasket curing.  I used parchment paper and i am glad i did.  There was one small spot where the lid would have stuck to the gasket.  Maybe i used too much permatex. 

Needless to say, I am excited to fire it back up.  I have a brisket waiting in the fridge for this weekend.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
Grand Rapids MI

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Welcome back!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Go big or go home-way to get back into the game.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Your gasket application looks fine to me. A little oozing out can be expected, but once cured it is no problem. BTW it will even darken in time. If you actually had any runs then after the 24 hour cure those can be easily trimmed with a sharp utility knife. Now - time to get on to that brisket this weekend!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @RRP

Well either you said it or I read it on the forum somewhere to spread it like butter. . . well I am liberal when it comes to the application of butter.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @RRP

Well either you said it or I read it on the forum somewhere to spread it like butter. . . well I am liberal when it comes to the application of butter.

As you should be.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    dang that's a nice garage floor!  egg-cessories also nice
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @blind99  - Yes we are living with my in-laws right now while we add on to our house.  FIL had that done last summer.  I think it was about 3K to get it epoxied like that.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    One of these days I may spring for the Thermopen/IR reader.  I found this interesting note on the Thermopen site:

"Warning regarding ThermoWorks products at Amazon, eBay and other sites    Less

The lowest internet prices for ThermoWorks products are available at thermoworks.com and through special offers received by subscribers to ThermoWorks emails.

Amazon, eBay, walmart.com, sears.com and their sellers are NOT Authorized Dealers. There are unscrupulous sellers at those sites who have purchased ThermoWorks products at retail prices and are then re-selling them at significantly elevated prices, sometimes 2 to 4 times the Authorized List Price. After receiving numerous complaints from customers who were victimized by those listings, we felt it was important to do what we could to warn unsuspecting consumers.

Furthermore, we have received a growing number of complaints that such sellers are offering counterfeit, copycat, stolen units, and "Open-Box" units as authentic NEW ThermoWorks products. Thus, from January 1st of 2016, technical support and warranty coverage are only available on ThermoWorks products that are purchased direct from ThermoWorks or from ThermoWorks' Authorized Dealers. In this way we know the consumer is fully protected and we can protect our reputation for treating customers fairly."

• kl8ton
    Options
    @onedbguru
    I bought mine direct from ThermoWorks.  It was $249 at Amazon and I think $99 or $93 at TW.

Grand Rapids MI