Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how low can you go??

Options
Hey guys, I want to try making some jerky on my green egg but in order to do so I need the temp to be about 150 degrees. Im curious as to whether or not it will be able to get and stay at that temp? Do yall think its possible to stabilize at 150?

From DFW TX

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sure. Easier with a controller but you can do it without. I would clean it out real good and start with a Smaller lump bed. I like to use my a-maze-n smoker for cold smoke but it wouldn't raise the temps to 150. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Never been to the land of 150*F but recently (and not for the first time) have been in the 160-170*F range.  LBGE and no controller but you do need to put an eye ball on it every two-three hours.  Ran past 24 hours with a lump load about an inch or two above the fire box air holes.  Smoking peppers.  Fun run. Go forth and enjoy the journey.
    Edit: Here's a link to a thread that mentions the above pepper cook:
    The heat is on...smoking peppers (a few pics) 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stx.dead.I
    Options
    does using less lump help with keeping it cooler?

From DFW TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    does using less lump help with keeping it cooler?
    No but it will create more space to be heated and will take a little bigger fire to get it to 150. A bigger fire is a more stable fire. It will also help your airflow which is good for low temp fires. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have seen with other smokers where people fill up an old metal can like a coffee can and drill holes around it to make a smaller charcoal container like a smaller firebox. Pretty sure this would help keep less coals from igniting and overshooting temp.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Much below 180 and my fire has always gone out.  A pain to restart.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys