Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal flavor

Options
JimE
JimE Posts: 158
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How do I get my food not to have so much charcoal flavor? I like it but the family is not crazy about it.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Jim,
    what brand of lump are you using and are you waiting until the smoke is essentially gone before putting your food on?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    RRP,
    Take heed to RRP suggestion,Do not be in a big hurry to get your cook on the egg.Wait till the smoke out of the daisey is clear.

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim,[p]This is one of the reasons I like using lump charcoal so I can reuse most of it. I use a chimney starter to get my fire going which I load 3/4 of the way with new charcoal. The combination of the old in the egg and the new already hot allows me to put the meat on faster. If I have to add some more new charcoal directly to the egg I then do what is suggested below, burn until the white smoke is gone[p]Howard