Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trouble connecting Stoker to wifi

i have followed all the instructions trying to get my stoker to connect to the wifi in my home but I can't get it to work. It's giving me a wifi IP of 192.168.100.1 which I know isn't correct. I've tried resetting and changing the IP manually but it just seems to go right back to 192.168.100.1 if anyone has any idea what I've done wrong the help would be greatly appreciated. I've emailed Rock's for help but haven't gotten a response yet.

im using a Linksys router if that is of any help.
Tim, Maryland Meat Masters, LBGE, Queenstown, MD

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited February 2016
    I'm not sure if it will help, but I recall on my Stoker when you enter in the IP you have to use all 3 digits......for example 192.168.001.068
    My Stoker is the previous generation. I remember it having difficulty with some of the more modern security types. If you are having difficulty try turning off the router security for a brief time and see if that makes any difference. Renable your routers security ASAP after testing
    I recommend setting a static IP and reserving it in the router for reliability.
  • Tim, send me a private message with your email. I will send what I have done on mine.
    Gambrills,Maryland

• Are you sure you have your stoker in client mode and not in AP mode?  Client mode means it should be pulling an IP address from your DHCP server (router).  And you hardwired it in when you first set it up, right?  Also, make sure you're using a 2.4 GHz network.  The adapter in the Stokers doesn't do 5GHz.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • I had a similar problem setting mine up.  What 'fixed' it was disabling my router security as @GregW said.

I wrote them an email and they suggested that I upgrade my wifi firmware, which I haven't done yet (my router is on the old side).  I haven't done that yet to test.  With that said, as long I'm ok with people hacking into my home network, the Stoker works great!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • GregW
    edited February 2016
    I had a similar problem setting mine up.  What 'fixed' it was disabling my router security as @GregW said.

I wrote them an email and they suggested that I upgrade my wifi firmware, which I haven't done yet (my router is on the old side).  I haven't done that yet to test.  With that said, as long I'm ok with people hacking into my home network, the Stoker works great!
    Yes, the Stoker doesn't seem like it gets upgraded to support newer network security very often if ever.  
    It's sad, but I usually just throw an ethernet cable out the window to connect to the Stoker.......it's a far more reliable way to connect to it. 

Who know's, maybe the current generation Stoker may have better wireless than mine does. Mine has been a disappointment  with the wireless connectivity. However it does hold the egg temp very well.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    GregW said:
    I had a similar problem setting mine up.  What 'fixed' it was disabling my router security as @GregW said.

Yes, the Stoker doesn't seem like it gets upgraded to support newer network security very often if ever.  
    It's sad, but I usually just throw an ethernet cable out the window to connect to the Stoker.......it's a far more reliable way to connect to it. 

Who know's, maybe the current generation Stoker may have better wireless than mine does. Mine has been a disappointment  with the wireless connectivity. However it does hold the egg temp very well.

The new one has a 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n radio and supports current WiFi security. The original only supported 2.4Ghz 802.11b and I'm not sure if it supports WPA2.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GregW
    DMW said:
    GregW said:

The new one has a 2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n radio and supports current WiFi security. The original only supported 2.4Ghz 802.11b and I'm not sure if it supports WPA2
    My Stoker is the previous generation, I don't think it does WPA2.

• Hate to be 'that guy' again. But someone remind me how this sh!t is easier than just lighting the egg, tossing in the meat, closing the lid and going to bed.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hate to be 'that guy' again. But someone remind me how this sh!t is easier than just lighting the egg, tossing in the meat, closing the lid and going to bed.

Not easier, geekier.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Hate to be 'that guy' again. But someone remind me how this sh!t is easier than just lighting the egg, tossing in the meat, closing the lid and going to bed.

I'm guessing you still protest cruise control in cars too?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Every car i have had since 1986 has had cruise control

i'll turn it on when i forget how to drive

but hey. Glad it works for you 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    @Darby_Crenshaw Silly analogy perhaps. Can one light the fire, dial it in and turn in for the evening?  Absofuckinglutely!  But, I have a Stoker and pretty much only use it on long L&S (typically overnight cooks or one's where I don't have time to periodically monitor). It's a mere piece of mind safety net to ensure steady temp. Nothing more nothing less. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Just false sense of security tho

there've been more "my powered draft unit failed"-related posts this month than "help my fire went out"

• NPHuskerFL
    @Darby_Crenshaw I've been crazy busy with work so I've only been creeping the forum here and there. I've never personally had these failures. Except for when we changed the Wi-Fi passcode. Even then parameters can be set at the unit and let it roll. Again, it's not needed. I wanted one....I bought it and use as needed.  Which more often than not I don't "need" it. It was definitely a geeky want. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    I hearya

More often than not though, the minute some new user says they were at 250 for twelve hours but then briefly dipped to 225, someone will swoop in and advise a multi-hundred dollar solution, instead of just learning how to set the vents

i'm all for luxuries. I spend more on useless stuff than most people. I just don't tell everyone else it is a necessity. 

You didn't either. But a lot of guys do

That's where i was coming from

i don't begrudge a guy his electronics. I just think it's premature for the answer to be "you need a stoker (or other)"

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    This doesn't have anything to do with holding a temp. Definitely a cure to a sleepless night though and certainly more precise than the manual route.  Needed? No, but extremely convenient and very simple to get working.  

@Tluke63 - you mentioned following instructions but just to make sure, you need to wire the unit to your router and then connect to it to set the initial wifi settings.  Also, what stoker unit do you have?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Disabling the security worked, thanks for the help! Can't wait to use my tech that I don't really need... Said every man ever.
    Tim, Maryland Meat Masters, LBGE, Queenstown, MD
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I have been using wifi security with the white box Stoker, Stoker WIFi and Stoker Wifi 2 so it should work.  Yes, I'm using WPA2.  It's just a config issue.  @Tluke63 and @GregW   I'd keep tinkering.  Keep your network secure.  Good luck.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat