Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita Experiment Results Are In!!

Options
After a failed fajita attempt that was marinated for 24 hours & SV for 48 hours, I decided to try 5 different methods based on my own hunches as well as board recommendations. All cooks were done with 9-12 ounce cuts of flank that were all the same ½" thickness. 

1- 48 hour SV @ 128° with dry rub of s&p, chile powder, garlic, cumin, onion

2- 24 hour marinade (non citrus) and 24 hour SV @ 128°  Marinade was olive oil, soy, chipotle or Santa Fe peppers, cilantro, dry rub from other prep, & lime zest

3- 24 hour marinade with same marinade as above

4- overnight marinate with same marinade (roughly 8-12 hours) and SV & 128° for 4-5 hours

5- 4-5 hour marinade with above marinade substituting lime juice for the zest 

Pictured here l to r are 1-3

And 4-5

All 5 were then seared at 550°-600° for about 90 seconds per side

Here are the sliced results, 1-5 as you'd read a book

Interesting results as none were in danger of getting kicked out of bed. It was actually a pretty challenging comparison. 1 (48 hour Dry rub SV) & 5 (5 hour citrus marinade) were eliminated first. 1 was a bit soft but by no means too soft. 5 was a bit tough but still fairly tender. Both had nice flavor but there can only be one winner. 

Next to be dismissed was debate for awhile and over several bites. I thought #2 (24 hour marinade/24 hour SV) was better than #3 (24 hour marinade) but my wife thought the opposite. It really was a toss up. #2 was more tender and flavorful but #3 was a better looking med rare (while still being really good). 

For argument's sake I caved and gave #3 the runner up award

Making the winner and method I'll be using from here on out #4- overnight 8-12 hour (noncitrus) marinade follows by 5 hour SV at 128°, then seared. Absolutely perfect in all facets

Fajitas done!
XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

Comments