Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a beef tenderloin to go with my turkey breast. Looking for a good recipe. Marinating time won't matter to much since we won't be having our get together until Saturday.
Looking for time, temps, all the usuall stuff. Tenderloin is about 6lbs.[p]CWM

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I tasted SloMo's beef tenderloin at the last 2 eggtoberfest,it's great.
    YB

[ul][li]SloMo's Beef Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    beeftender.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike,
    I also had Slo Mo's tenderloin at Eggtoberfest 1999 and it is good! His were stuffed and a low fire slo cook is ok but I prefer hotter fires for a solid tenderloin. I did this 2 lb'er at 500-550 deg on my small Egg for 9 min per side then closed it up and let it dwell until the polder read 145 internal(5-10 min as I recall).[p]Tim

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M,...Hi Tim, great looking tenderloin!.....
    I have never seen an Egg up close so please bear with the ignorance!
    IS that the "normal" grate location in an Egg?
    Is there room to install another?......[p]Mop!

• Tim M
    Options
    ribset14.jpg
    <p />Mop,
    That is the location of the main grid and the only way to install another is to use something on top to raise it. The pictured Egg is a small one but the large is the same. I use a raised grid or setter or firebricks on edge to provide a surface for another grid higher than the main grid.
    Here is an example of the raised grid with ribs on it, you can see the main grid (large Egg).
    Tim

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Tim M,..Oh ok, I see, ...did you get that grid from BGE or elswhere?.....
    And is that raised grid the same diameter as the main grate or a tad smaller?....[p]Mop!

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Tim M, That one doesn't look like you stuffed it. If you did, I can't notice. I'm thinking about putting mustard all the way around, rub in some spices, searing at a high temp. and let dwell. The small end to done and the large end to medium.[p]CWM

• Tim M
    Options
    tip1.jpg
    <p />Mop,[p]It is smaller than the main grid and I did get it from the BGE in Atlanta. There are many other ways to do the same thing depending on what your tring to do. Often I place an aluminium drip pan on the main grid and then set a second grid (webber w/handles) right on top of the drip pan. This also rasised the cooking level and went to indirect heat because of the drip pan. [p]Tim