Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My lower carb lunch

Chili, no beans and some pork rinds instead of cornbread or crackers. Egged the ground beef and ground turkey then crumbled it. Used home canned tomatoes instead of bought, a small can of tomato paste, peppers, onions, garlic, hot sauce and several heaping teaspoons of chili powder. Simmered for several hours. Pork rinds for crunch without carbs. Probably high in calories, but low in carbs which is what I am concentrating on right now, and there are no refined, processed carbs except for a little bit in the tomato paste.
The flavor of the ground beef and turkey is so much better egged than just browned in a pan on the stove.
This was very flavorful and the slice of Kraft singles just added to it. Typically, I would have made a much higher carb count chili and the serving would have been twice as much, so this is still keeping with the lifestyle change without going hungry. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    What a great idea.. Thanks for sharing, love the pork rinds twist..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    for you low carb lovers... I will post an AMAZING recipe tomorrow.  It's a pizza dip, however it just tastes like pizza....SOOOOO good.  It will help you out in your journey.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,168
    What a great idea.. Thanks for sharing, love the pork rinds twist..

Thanks. Pork rinds have helped me give up potato chips and nachos...which were basic food groups at my house.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2016
    Haven't eaten rice or eaten pasta in a while. Substitute rice with cauliflower florets. Pasta w/ spiralized zucchini and squash. Healthy and very flavorful. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • epcotisbest
    Haven't eaten rice or eaten pasta in a while. Substitute rice with cauliflower florets. Pasta w/ spiralized zucchini and squash. Healthy and very flavorful. 
    We just got the Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment for the stand mixer. Have not tried it yet but am looking forward to trying it on zucchini.
  • epcotisbest
    for you low carb lovers... I will post an AMAZING recipe tomorrow.  It's a pizza dip, however it just tastes like pizza....SOOOOO good.  It will help you out in your journey.
    Thank you, looking forward to the recipe.
  • epcotisbest
    Thank you, looking forward to the recipe.