Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Meat

Just started the first steps in  making smoked meat.

I have a 14lb Brisket using the ultimate smoked meat recipe posted here on the forum as many of you have...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1128140/ultimate-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe/p1

I had a couple of questions:

1) I was wondering if having this cure in my fridge will cause any damage to the other items in my fridge?

2) What is the purpose of flipping the brisket twice daily?

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    1 no but your significant other may ask questions
    2 redistribute the cure so the meat gets evenly cured
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99 said:
    1 no but your significant other may ask questions
    2 redistribute the cure so the meat gets evenly cured
    Thanks. 

Would you happen to know what the internal temperature should be when pulling the brisket off of the smoker?
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    195-205. Probe with tooth pick if no resistance it's done
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I've never made that recipe but it looks tasty! As @jabam said a brisket is usually done around that range. I'm not sure if the cure affects it much. Keep us posted!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jabam said:
    195-205. Probe with tooth pick if no resistance 
    For smoked meat?
  • I just made a pastrami and it was a very similar process.   Shorter time in the brine but almost identical.  I removed mine at 150* based on the recipe in the book Charcuterie by micheal Ruhlman (great book).  It worked perfect.   I ate it for dinner just a couple hours ago. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    @theyolksonyou sorry I'm sleeping at the wheel.

My smoked meat is done in a wet brine. I have never done the dry brine myself. The person who gave me the wet brine recipe say its fool proof since the cure and salt are dissolved in the water it touches the meat everywhere. 

To answer your first question everything else will  be fine in the fridge.

I have a simple approach for cooking.

1. Smoke till an internal temp of 180f and steam till probe tender (195f-205f) all the same day.

2. Smoke till probe tender (195f-205f) no steaming. 
  • Tinyfish said:
    @theyolksonyou sorry I'm sleeping at the wheel.

My smoked meat is done in a wet brine. I have never done the dry brine myself. The person who gave me the wet brine recipe say its fool proof since the cure and salt are dissolved in the water it touches the meat everywhere. 

To answer your first question everything else will  be fine in the fridge.

I have a simple approach for cooking.

1. Smoke till an internal temp of 180f and steam till probe tender (195f-205f) all the same day.

2. Smoke till probe tender (195f-205f) no steaming. 
    I think I might go with the first method. Smoke till about 180F let it sit in the fridge overnight portion it off next day and then steam till 195-205f.
  • is there anything that needs to be done while it's curing other than flipping the meat? I was thinking of checking on it to make sure the cure is evenly spread on the brisket. 
  • dirty_denim86
    dirty_denim86 Posts: 138
    edited February 2016
    Just soaked it for 3 hours fried up a small piece of the point it's still pretty salty should I let it soak for another hour or so?
  • Just pulled the meat off the egg I smoked it for 4 hours then wrapped it in foil for another 3.5 hours at 250.

I was expecting it to take longer to get to 180F internal temperature but the cook only took 7.5 hours it was a 14lb brisket.

I let it rest for a few hours then wrapped it and tossed it into the fridge overnight. I'm going to steam some this afternoon until it reaches 195-200F.

Here is a picture when it came off the egg:

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Hey Dirty are you sure this was your first attempt because that looks spectacular,  congratulations! !

The only bad thing like I said about smoked meat is the wait for the curing. 

Look around for some sugar maple wood chunks for your next one, its worth it.