Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My bird sticks out/what about that pork tenderloin???

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm brining. I'm brining. And a small portion of the drumsticks are stickin' outta da water. Should I worry? Should I turn more frequently? Or am I being a bit compulsive about the whole thing? By the way, I've combined Dr. Chicken's suggestions with the Ash method, so it's kinda like a Frankenbrine (or is it Frankenbrien??).[p]Also, I have a 18" tenderloin. I want to do a dry rub, something peppery, but pretty basic, as the majority of my Thanksgiving guests don't want to go out on culinary limbs. I wanna give 'em tenderloin that makes them understand why I have a large egg AND a small egg. I wanna give 'em a tenderloin that makes them tell egg stories to their grandkids.[p]Please provide specifics as to when I should prep the meat (ie, rub 2 days, 1 day, or hours in advance). Also, if the rub is wrong, and I need to marinade, TELL ME. I almost decided that Stubb's pork marinade, which I love on ribs, may be the answer, but it seems too, well, easy.[p]Thanks in advance,[p]David Saliba

Comments

• David Saliba,[p]Interesting that you should ask. I made the most awesome pork tenderloin last night. Here's the recipe:[p]Bourbon and Honey Smoke-Roasted Pork Tenderloin[p]6 Servings[p] MARINADE[p]1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
    3 tablespoons honey
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger root
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup onions, Thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
    2 teaspoons pepper
    1 teaspoon salt[p]1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin tied with string[p]Combine all marinade ingredients; blend well.[p]Lay the pork tenderloins in a ceramic or glass dish or in a zip-lock baggie and pour marinade over them. Marinate at least 24 hours, turning the tenderloins several times. When ready to cook, pat the pork dry.[p]Preheat your egg (I use a Kamado, but it's the same thing) to 300. Add smoking medium (I used grape vines but any fruitwood would work well). Roast the pork until the internal temperature is 160 F.[p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Mardi,Do you have a stong bourbon flavor? I'm debating on a pork loin or a whole beef tenderloin to go with my turkey. I won't be cooking until Saturday morning.[p]Thanks,
    CWM

• Dr. Chicken
    Options
    David Saliba,
    I just finished putting #6 in the brine! Two of them are large enough that the tips of the drumstick stick out above the brine. I'll put a plate inverted on top of those. All of them are sitting in my shed, which is below 30 degrees as we speak. Its suppose to be in the middle teens tonight, that's plenty cold enough to act as a refrigerator. The first two will go on the Eggs about 9am tomorrow![p]Cheers, Dr. Chicken

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    David Saliba,[p] I use an oversized coffee cup on top of the small portion of the drumsticks that stick out of the top of the bucket I use. I sink the cup in the brine, then invert it so that it is upside down and full of fluid. Then I squish the drumsticks down until they are underwater (underbrine?). I slide the cup over the 'sticks and let go. As long as you get all the air out of the cup and the edges of the cup stay underwater, it will stay full of brine and keep the tips of the drumsticks covered.[p]MikeO
  • Car Wash Mike,[p]No, there was not a strong bourbon flavor. Just enough to enchance the flavor of the meat. And, the ternderloin was very tender and juicy.[p]Mardi