Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke chips vs smoking pellets

Options
JJ
JJ Posts: 951
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What are the best smoking chips or pellets. What does everybody Perfer?

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    hickory, apple or maple wood chips (prefer wood chunks)
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    jj,[p]I prefer BBQr's Delight pellets over chips. A pouch made of heavy duty aluminum with just one tiny hole in one side works great to provide smoke in the egg. [p]To make a foil pouch, cut a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil 6" by 12" and fold in half making a 6"x6" square. Fold the side edges at least twice, pressing each fold firmly along the entire side. Put 1/3 of a cup of pellets in the pouch and fold the top to seal. Poke a hole in one side of the pouch with a toothpick. Place the pouch on top of your lump. When the smoke starts coming out of the hole in the pouch, put your food on the grate and close the lid. Smoke should last up to 30 minutes.[p]Jack Daniels is my favorite for beef. For longer cooks I use wood chuncks though.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister[p]
    [ul][li]BBQr's Delight smoking pellets[/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    jj,
    I am a huge fan of the Jack Daniels barrel chips. Very sweet smelling smoke. I have a collection of other woods I use from time to time.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    jj,
    i use chunks for almost everything. the only exception is pecan pellets for turkey. dont know who makes it, came in a plastic gallon tub and for me thats a lifetime of pellets for turkey

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jj,
    i dunno[p]wood is wood is wood, as far as i can tell.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante