Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egghead That Has Questions...

Greetings Everyone!  

I recently was lucky enough to acquire an XL Big Green Egg to expand my outdoor cooking arsenal.  After spending a few days over Christmas building a table for it, it was ready for its maiden voyage. 

I'm two cooks in on it so far (after having the fire grate unexpectedly crack in half after my first cook - thankful for the warranty replacement) and have some questions for the pros bouncing in my mind to help me hone in my skills for future cooks.  Any help or insight to these would be fantastic!
  • Does the brand of lump charcoal matter?  I currently am using Royal Oak.  I've read the BGE brand burns better/hotter.  Should I be using this instead? 
  • Does it matter how much charcoal I add for each cook?  If I'm controlling the temp via the grates, I would think I just need to make sure everything is clean below and the airflow is optimal, correct?
  • How long should I wait after lighting my charcoal to toss the meat on?  I've been waiting for about 30 minutes or so 'till the heavy smoke clears, but am wondering if letting it burn off that hot for that long with the lid open will shorten the life of the coals if I were to do a long  (10+ hour cook on a brisket/butt, etc)
  • Is a temperature control fan necessary for long cooks, or does the egg hold temps consistent enough for me to be able to set it and walk away from it?
  • What sites have you all used to buy accessories (not necessarily from a dealer that you got the egg from, but those you have and use that you love...)
I think that covers the beginner questions!  Looking forward to reading and learning from your responses, and turning out some great food from the Egg!

Happy Grilling!
XL Big Green Egg
Weber Summit S-470
Smoke Hollow Vertical Cabinet (Propane)

(Joliet, IL)

Comments

• BGE Lump is Royal Oak , I keep Fire box full ,it will be there to use later. When the smoke smells good it is safe to put food on grill. A controller is for piece of mind, but not necessary. Ceramic Grill Store and Smokeware , Thermoworks are probably the most used sites for goodies !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    edited January 2016
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  I will offer some opinions on your questions.
    Lump charcoal discussions here are hotter than politics and religion.  That said, Royal Oak and BGE charcoal are sourced from the same supplier.  I would save $$ and go with RO if that is what is available locally.  You can expand your horizons with Firecraft.com and their free shipping for >$99 orders.
    Regarding charcoal load-within reason you cannot load too much lump.  The size of the fire is driven by the air-flow not the quantity of fuel.   If you need extra distance between the grid and lump you may limit the quantity but in general, load its up and go.  The XL provides more flexibility with lump load/usage.
    Wait til the smoke emanating from the BGE smells good than add the protein and start the cook.  And the concern about letting the fire get hot-all driven by air-flow.  The lower the cooking temp the longer for the VOC's (bad smoke) to burn off.
    No need for a fan or controller provided you have a stable set-up when you walk away.  Stable means no vent movements for at least 45 minutes for me.
    Accessories - the ceramic grill store is a great one but I would go easy on the initial after-market buys.  Get familiar with the BGE and how you use it before buying too much stuff.
    You need a way to cook indirect (heat deflector),good instant read thermo, a way to monitor low&slow cooks from outside the BGE and some heavy duty gloves.  
    That's more than enough from me.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    In order of your bullet points:

Brand of charcoal matters to some, less for heat but more for certain smoke profiles and flavor (some lump is more neutral).  For the record, BGE is just rebranded Royal Oak.  Personally I like Rockwood and Ozark Oak (RIP - 4 bags left).

There's not really any reason not to fill it up.  You can reuse any unburned lump, but you are correct - the temp of your fire is dependent on airflow.

Waiting til the smoke clears is most important, and 30 min is about right, but there is no reason to leave your lid open the whole time.  Once the coals are lit, close the lid and start dialing in your temperature.  If you are cooking low temps, you don't want to overshoot it anyway.

I never use a fan.  The egg will hold temps for as long as there is fuel - it may spike a bit as your meat shrinks (and the egg can hold more oxygen), but not significantly.

There is another very good thread around here about accessories.  Firecraft.com is a good place to start - I also like shopping at my dealers.  Look at ceramicgrillstore.com as well.
    NOLA
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Although everyone has their favorite charcoal, what is most important is that you find a brand that you have consistent access to, and get used to the way it performs.

I load that sucker up every time. See the previous answer. Fresh on top of half burned is not a good idea for low and slow cooks, though. It's okay for steaks, burgers, chicken, etc.

Let it it burn until the heavy smoke is gone, just like you are doing. A charcoal fire should still be a clean fire.

Fans and controllers are nice for convenience, but not a necessity. I only started using mine consistently this year, and that only for cooks that I anticipate would go beyond 6 hours or that would last overnight. The BGE will hold temps well enough so that you can go to the store and get groceries. 

I get get accessories just about anywhere: Amazon and The Ceramic Grill Store are two I can come up with off the top of my head. Lousubcap's advice is strong, though: I spent the first three years learning direct, platesetter legs up, and platesetter legs down, before taking on different accessories. But the XL might be different from the L. One I do like is the simple WOO ring, which allows me to easily add and remove the platesetter. 

Oh: platesetter is what they used to call the convEGGtor. Sorry for using dated terminology.
  • I am New to the forum as well and can not find where to start a new thread so I am sorry I have to jump in here. First, where should I go to start a new thread?

And since we are talking about new user questions, Let me ask this,

I have a large Green Egg, {WHICH I LOVE} I am already bumping up against the capacity of the single grill.  WHICH, gets better results and less hassle, a rack to hold more meat on a single rack or more meat on something like "The Rig"?

Can you have food which is not completely cooked using the rig by not rotating the meat?  And I guess the down fall of a rack system is sauces may run off the meat?

Thanks 

Greenville, South Carolina - One LGE
    Warm Grill and Cold Beer
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I've never had a problem with uncooked food due to not rotating (I'm lazy, I don't rotate).  An instead read thermometer is your friend for whatever you are cooking.

If I anticipate unwanted drippings from one meat to another, I just deflect with loose foil.

And the "rig" (the AR) is an awesome piece of kit.

A new thread is the "New Discussion" button in the upper right.
    NOLA
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Check out this recent post as it answers a lot of your questions:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190878/some-inputs-for-neos-new-egg-owners
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    DBarton02 said:
    Greetings Everyone!  
    !
    • Does the brand of lump charcoal matter?  I currently am using Royal Oak.  I've read the BGE brand burns better/hotter.  Should I be using this instead? 

This question alone will take up some space here. Welcome....a fair question....just lots of opinions.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Welcome Aborad! Most everybody touched on all your questions. If you fill the firebox initially and wait for all the bad smoke to clear you won't have to go it again for day to day cooks until you add more lump. The AR would be the first piece of kit is buy.
  • Thank You All!
    Warm Grill and Cold Beer
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    @DBarton02 and @Pignpoke, an inexpensive option to a second, raised grid is to make one with a weber grid from the hardware store and some stainless steel bolts.  See photo. Oh, and put your city state in your signature line. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Yes Jethro, I think I am going to build me an Upper Deck! 
    Warm Grill and Cold Beer
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Is that in a large?
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography