Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

two spatchcock chicken at gasket level instead of one at raised level?

Options
It looks a little tight but doable.

Has anybody here done that?

I have been cooking a four to five pound spatchcock chicken raised direct and it has been doing great.

However, it is just enough for four people, and I want to have six over for dinner.

FWIW, I have evolved into this rub for anyone who is interested.

1.5 tsp onion powder

1.5 tsp Garlic powder

1 tsp ground black Pepper

3.0  tsp Butter seasoning powder

1 tsp Sea Salt/crushed up

Rub chicken skin with additional sea salt

Dust everything with raging river

375 raised grid direct.

put on egg, skin side down,  for 10 or so then turn for rest of time

make sure 160/165 breast, 180/185 thigh, takes 50/60 minutes depending on size, etc.

A real hit to everyone who has had them.

Do you think two will do pretty well direct at gasket level? There is definitely not room for two raised direct.

Any input appreciated.

Regards

Ken

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited January 2016
    Options
    if they fit they will cook just fine.  I've put 4 small birds on my XL and they did just fine. 

one thing I did that I think helped me out was get a nice even bed of coals using my  chimney starter.  Someone with more knowledge may correct my thinking but I figured it helped with the direct cook.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it will work fine.  Gasket level is still raised from the normal grilling level.  I think there is some advantage to getting them even higher (as it sounds like you have been doing)...but they will still be great at gasket level.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I assume your cooking on a large if you think it's gonna be tight. No worries I have done 2 - 6lb birds spatched on my large at gasket level which is what most consider raised direct.  I run about 400-425 when doin direct.  More often I cook my chickens indirect about 375 and creeping up to 450ish.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • EggersRUs
    Options
    Yes this is a standard size, which I believe is a large.

For one bird I have been using an add-on rack that sits higher than gasket level and that is what I have been calling raised direct.

Thanks for the input, will give it a shot and make sure coals spread.

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I go raised direct with my spatchcocks, but many go indirect and like the results. If you want to play it safe, I would maybe just go indirect if both are at gasket level. Who knows, you might like em that way. It seems the best way to avoid botching the cook with company expected. Not sure the risk is worth the payoff in this case.
    Stillwater, MN
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    2 raised direct.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.