Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first baked beans on the Egg

Options
I've had the egg for a few months now and have trolled these forums searching for (and finding!) tips and recipes to help my Egging.  This is my first post.  While I've done some tasty dishes, I am pumped about yesterday's baked beans.  I've been waiting to try them, but didn't have a proper dutch oven.  Happily, Santa brought me a nice antique DU and I christened it yesterday.  The boys came over to watch playoff football and gave me the big thumbs up.

I started with http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149958/apple-smoked-maple-syrup-baked-beans#latest as my base recipe, and modified it, swapping in my favourite thick cut smoked bacon from a local butcher, but most importantly I drained all the bean water left after boiling and added liquid to the beans throughout by adding tomato juice.  Ended up adding about 3/4 of a quart over the 7 hours of baking/smoking.  

The white in the pic is steam - it was a cool 12 below Celsius as I was cooking, but the Egg performed flawlessly.
Large Egg
Ontario, Canada

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Hell I would devour a couple of bowls of those beans..They do look great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    I'll take a big bowl of that!!  Welcome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Baked beans are a real treat. Great work and welcome. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Beans look great brother!  Welcome.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    How good does that look.