Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Turkey

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
10lbTurkey.jpg
<p />This morning I put a 10.5 lb bird on Mr. Big for a practice run so I minimize the chance of fouling up the official bird on turkey day. Cooked him at 330-340 until breast was 170 and thigh was 180+. If the 15 lb turkey I plan to cook on Thursday is as good as this little one tasted, Thanksgiving dinner will be a success.

Comments

• Carl T,Okay Carl. The question is are you bringing some to work Monday. I took a break this weekend. Looked great! What did you season with?

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Carl T, bird looks delicious! Question though...it appears you made three stablizers to keep your egg from moving, but at the same time the rain bonnet is sitting on the feet. So what is the egg resting on that makes it unstable or at least want to wiggle? If just a stepping stone that normal should sit quite flat?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carl T,[p]How long did the bird take?[p]John

• Carl T
    Options
    jhgnag,[p]It took 2.5 hours. I was somewhat suprised at how quick it went. As soon as I closed the lid, the temp climbed steadily during the cook.[p]Carl T

• Carl T
    Options
    RRP,[p]Sorry about the first message with no text. I hit enter before I moved the curser to the message box.[p]My egg is resting on two flat concrete patio blocks. The blocks are flat, but my egg would rock somewhat when I opened the dome. I added the three stainless steel stabilizers you see in the picture. These stabilizers give the egg a real solid feel when I open the dome.[p]Carl T

• Carl T
    Options
    JIMB,[p]That little turkey didn't last the day. We had a nice early dinner and I took the rest to my sister in law. I only sprayed the bird with olive oil to help brown the skin evenly. I did not use any seasoning other than the olive oil.[p]The egg has been working overtime today. At 11:00 pm this evening, I put on the 8 lb butt for Wednesday's lunch at work. It should go 17-18 hours. I can't decide if I should freeze the pulled pork until Wednesday or just keep it sealed and refrigerated. I don't know which would be better.[p]Carl T

• Carl T,
    Sealed and refrigerated. Tried this before egg in smoker and it lost a lot of flavor when frozen!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Carl T,[p]I would suggest only going to 160 on the breast, especially on a larger bird. Did you brine it? If not, you gotta, gotta, gotta!