Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Temperature safe to cook with Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it safe to cook on the egg(not to damage it) when the outdoor
temperature is below 40 F? I would like to cook a turkey this
week....but don't dare if it will damage the cooker.[p]Carol

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Carol ,
    Cook and enjoy

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Carol ,
    Cook and enjoy

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Carol ,
    Cooked out all last winter. Some of our Egg friends live in Canada and they cook all the time.
    I think the lowest air temp I cooked in was 22* and all went well.
    Don't worry enjoy[p]Carey

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Carol ,
    Hello and glad to meet you.
    Go for it! If you can stand to be in the cold and cook, then I think the egg will be OK :). I live in Michigan and I've cooked when the temp was 7* and windy and snowing (miserable) but the BGE performed flawlessly! I did notice that I had to open the bottom vent more to maintain the same temperature that I normally would. Other than that, it was the same as usual. Good luck and I'll CUL
    ChefRD.

• Carl T
    Carl T Posts: 179
    Options
    Carol ,[p]As I type this, the temp here in St. Lou is 26 degrees and my large egg is locked at 240 with an 8 lb butt in it. I'm planning on cooking all winter.[p]Carl T

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Hi Carol ,
    Like the other great folks have said, go for it and enjoy. WInter is by far my favorite time to Q. There is something exciting about seeing (and smelling) smoke and meat when most folks are inside frying steaks. And the cold crisp air seems to make the food taste better too!! [p]Have fun....and welcome to the best forum in the world.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    snowegg.jpg
    <p />Carol ,
    As you can see from the smoking egg with all the snow around it that there is no problem cooking with the egg in cold temperatures. You can also use the egg in the rain without any ill effects.[p]Mr Beer