Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Pizza

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had the first urge for a pizza today I've had in years. Was at Target anyway, so grabbed a Digiorno (sp?) chicken and veggie thin crust. Stuck it on the egg for the requisite 20 minutes (plate setter, 450-500 or so). It was awful. Crust was like a rock and I still have indigestion. Are there any frozen pizzas that come out ok? This was totally uninspiring.[p]mShark

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Wow! you must have offended the frozen pizza gods. We love the Supreme DiGiorno Pizza on the Egg. Totally different flavor than in the oven. Have it about once a week. It's as good or better than most pizza places. I cook mine at about 400° to 450° after a suitable warmup with the pizza stone in place. About half way through I usually rotate the pizza to even out the cooking. Other than than it's a piece of pie. [p]Spring "Where The Texas Stars Hit Your Eyes, Lika Big 'ol Texas Pizza Pies" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA[p]

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Some grocery stores sell fresh pizzas, Safeway comes to mind, that aren't too bad. They will be refrigerated not frozen. But really, if you want good pizza, it pretty easy to make the dough, sauce, and the rest of the toppings. My Egged pizzas are as good or better than any pizzaria. -RP

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    mollyshark,
    We have a place called 'Pappa Murphy's Take and Bake Pizza'. You call in your order, pick it up fresh then take it home (or someplace) and bake it. This is in Louiville, Ky so don't know if you would have them in Texas???
    CJ

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Their chicken pizza leaves a lot to be desired. Try some you make yourself, much better.[p]Around here there are are Pappa Murpheys where you buy the pizza freshly made but not cooked. Any of those around you?

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    mollyshark,[p]We haven't done frozen since HEB started selling pizza dough kits. Two rounds, plus sauce for $2.59 or something. We then get to add whatever we want on it.[p]I also use a pizza screen. It helps keep the bottom from burning. Next time, I'll try the elevated pizza stone idea.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    mollyshark,
    I'm not a big Wally world fan but both Wally World and Sams are selling take and bake pizzas. I've had the ones from Sams and they are pretty good off the egg. Tom