Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Beef Tenderloin. And a bit of redemption.

We hosted Christmas for the first time in a long while. The last time we hosted, I was a new Egghead, and lack of experience did me in.  I torched a prime rib roast way past medium well.  It was tough and dry, and I was devastated because I'd talked up that meal for weeks in advance. 

In the weeks leading up to our celebration this time, my wife questioned me repeatedly.  "Have you ever cooked a tenderloin?  Are you sure you want to do this?  I just don't want you to flip out if you mess this up.  Maybe try something easier.  I just want you to have a good time and enjoy Christmas.  Maybe try a pork butt or something that's easier."  

A pork butt?  Psssshhhh!  This is Christmas!  Time to step up the game.  

Busted out the Maverick and the Thermapen and got to work.  I trimmed up the roast, got the Egg stabilized at 300, and put on a few Hickory chips.  I cut the tenderloin in half, doused it with kosher salt and pepper, and seared it in the cast iron skillet.   It went on the Egg and took just over an hour to get from 50 degrees internal to 122 when I pulled it off.  I pulled out the AR, and re-seared it to give it color and bring up the temp to about 128-130.  Let it rest for 5 minutes and sliced. 

My dad just started laughing when he took his first bite.  My brother said it was the best steak he's ever had.  My wife said "Babe...this is unbelievable.  Nice work."    I was on cloud nine.  It's so awesome to have the family in town. It's wonderful to feed them good food.  But to hear those kinds of compliments was just the best.  

I'll tie it next time.  But that's about the only thing I think I could have corrected.  It was incredible.  I'll probably put a bit more effort into presentation as well.  The photos just don't do it justice.  

My best cook to date!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments