Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Diabetes

Fuji
Fuji Posts: 2
I just recently found I have type 2 diabetes.....just wanted to start something on here to share some receipies that are diabetic friendly

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Fuji said:
    I just recently found I have type 2 diabetes.....
    Sorry to hear this my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2015
    Also sorry to hear.

Is your weight and health under control otherwise?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I can't remember who it was, but there have been posts/cooks by other folks with diabetes about stuff like pizza with cauliflower crust instead of the usual, and other low carb food. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Diet and exercise will be the most important tools you use to keep your A1C under control to reverse DM Type II. Monitor and limit carbs and try to eliminate concentrated sweets. 

That said, a grill is an excellent tool to cook healthy, flavorful meals. Find home brew rub recipes that limit sugar. It is a common ingredient in most rubs and usually the second or third ingredient on the list, meaning it is one of the largest present, percentage-wise. Typically after salt.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Type 2 here also and mine was diagnosed 12 years ago. Trust me it is NOT a death sentence per see, but a call to make some changes in your life style. In my case I dropped 30 pounds via diet and regular excercise. Tell you more tomorrow if you want my traveloge.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Type 2 diabetes, as brother Eggcelsior expressed is best managed with diet, exercise AND weight loss.  Most type 2 (not all) can get to diet controlled status if they get to an ideal weight.  Grilled food, especially fish is your friend.  That and Mediterranean diet.  Your egg should serve you well brother!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Chicken fish green vegetables and make your own rubs 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2015
    Fuji said:
    I just recently found I have type 2 diabetes.....just wanted to start something on here to share some receipies that are diabetic friendly
    Reach out to @Griffin. Great guy and dealt with this a few years ago. Look up his posts about it on here. He kicked much ass and ate very well. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Sorry to hear that @Fuji I'm a type 2 as well. As others have said, its not a death sentence. Diet and exercise are key.  Call your insurance company and see if they will give you a blood sugar monitor. Most will for free. (I use the Accu-Check Nano). Use it. Monitor your sugar at least 5x a day. Once in the morning, once before each meal and once before bedtime.

Start a nutrition log. Write down everything you eat and what your blood sugar was before and 2 hours after. That will help you identify what you can and can not eat.

I went pretty extreme for awhile and went with the Primal Diet and it really helped, but its hard. Might not be for everybody. Forget everything you've ever heard or learned about diet. Your key focus is carbs. Cut down or eliminate them as much as possible. No more Cokes. No more cookies or chips. Limit bread. If you can, for the first 3 months, try lean meats, fish and veggies. Oh, and I'd watch what kind of fruit you eat. People might frown at me, but I do not eat fruit anymore. Too much sugars.

Snacks - almonds and other nuts. Beef jerky. Pork rinds or chicharrones.

Desserts - just forget about them for now. Eventually, you won't care. Indulge every once in awhile.

I've gone from being 220 to 180lbs. Took my A1C from 8 point something to 5.4 and my normal sugar level runs around 125-130 which is too high IMHO, but I haven't been as strict as I should be.

Once you get your sugar under control, a good rule of thumb to follow is 80/20. Be good 80% of the time and give yourself a "cheat" about 20%. Eat good all week, and then reward yourself with a pizza or something. (For pizza, always go thin crust, no more thick or deep dish and for the love of God, eat a salad with it and don't just cram your face with pizza till you are stuffed)

It's challenging and somedays you'll wanna throw your hands up in the air and say Fvck It, I'm tired of my fingers being a pin cushion and I want some damn bread, but hang in there. Get a support system and talk to them. I'm usually around if you need somebody.

I could probably type a whole lot more, but I gotta go run to take a Leadership Training class. Fire away any questions you have and I'll check back later.

Good luck.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Google American Diabetes Association Slow Cooker Recipes.  Excellent and healthy by their standards. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Please don't ignore it. I lost my father due to his complete disregard for the advice in this thread. He lost his kidneys, his legs and then his life. It was an incredibly painful way to die.  

You can change this. But it takes every day diligence. It takes a lifestyle change. If you make the change you can keep control of your life and outside of food you will have a perfectly healthy normal life.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    I don't have diabetes, but hubby does. Great advice from @Griffin. Be very strict in the beginning and see what eliminating carbs does to your levels. Hubby dropped almost 30 pounds the first month. One thing we found that helped with eliminating regular bread was Ezekiel bread. It is bread, but it is made from sprouted wheat, which behaves differently regarding converting to sugar. It is in the frozen food section at the grocery store. Switch from white rice to brown rice. We found out that we prefer the brown rice now. Hardest for us has been pasta and potatoes, but he "saves" those for cheat days. I don't have to eat the same things that he does, but I do anyway. If given my way, I would eat Fettuccine Alfredo twice a week, lol. Good luck.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Fugi   after lurking for a long time ,and reading your post.I went shopping the same day and came across  sugar free bbq sauce.
  • And that's when I joined the madness
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Diagnosed with Type II back in 2007. Lots of good advice here. For me foods that spiked my blood sugar were sweet corn and green peas. Not all veggies are created equal it seems. Bring on the broccoli and cauliflower. As far as fruit goes I've had to limit myself to apples, pears and raw blackberries, raspberries and blueberries in limited quantities. It really is a life style change.