Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza!!!

Cat
Cat Posts: 556
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Why did I wait so long to try this? Pizza on the Egg is a blast.[p]I followed Spin's excellent recipe & technique. He recommends starting out with small pies, so I did 4 nine inchers. Cheated a little and used bought tomato sauce (my butcher shop does a nice fresh marinara, which I cooked down a bit to thicken it). Mix of grated mozzarella and parmesan. On two pies I added lightly sauteed onions & cremini mushrooms. On the other I added thin slices of Aidells smoked turkey & chicken sausage.[p]The first pie took about 10 minutes at 550 dome. The others took only 8 minutes. Boy, were these good. The crust was crispy outside, tender inside, with a nice crunch from the cornmeal. The two of us devoured 3 of the 4. (The remaining one will be a midnight snack...or breakfast.)[p]One variation to Spin's method: I was too lazy to haul out my mixer for the dough and used the food processor (with the plastic blade) instead. It worked great. So if you don't have a heavy-duty mixer with a dough hook, try the processor. If you do, says Julia Child, make sure the water isn't too warm; the processor action generates some heat. [p]I'll try the onions raw next time, for a little more crunch & flavor. Otherwise I won't change a thing.[p]Spin, thanks for showing us the way. I can't wait to have a pizza party for my friends - they'll be blown away![p]Cathy

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Cat,
    Hey Sis: What times the party[p]JJ

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cat, [p]Wonder Woman does it again..!! I eyeballed my pizza stone with some thoughts the other day. This may be the push I need to crank up some dough. I have yet to splatter up this kitchen to my hearts content. When I do it, it has to be with no witnesses...Cheers...C~W

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    01_02_0018_59_03.jpg
    <p />Cat, great minds think alike - we just finished the one in the picture - lots of cheese, sausage and pepperoni. Check ou the link below for additional pictures - pizza is great, this was my 2nd attempt![p]
    [ul][li]Pizza with Spin's Sauce[/ul]
  • Cat
    JJ,[p]You say the word, Bro. Don't you & Kathy have a book signing date in Manhattan? [p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Char-Woody,[p]You've gotta do it with an audience! More fun that way. [p]Cathy
  • Cat
    Gfw,[p]Looks scrumptious. Your pics are always an inspiration -[p]Cathy

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Cat:[p]Congratulations on the pizza success. The focal point of EGGtoberfest '99 for me was Spin and pizza. My kids love it. May I suggest some feta cheese mixed with the regular cheese in Spin's recipe? To me, goat feta is best. Another suggestion is herbed pizza dough . . . Still experimenting with that one.

• Char-Woody
    Cat, Me wiffy would faint at the sight...Takes me a hour to clean up..Last time it was almost a dead heat when she walked in the door. I think that was the time I had gysers of tomato sauce spitting up towards the ceiling. You know..when it gets thick enuff to make like hot lava? Takes off like little mortar rounds in little balls of red splats..heeee
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Cat,
    We don't know why we waited so long to try pizza on the egg either. We tried it last night also. It was the most delious pizza we have ever tried. No more sending out for pizza. My husband and I have had our BGE for 2 years now. I have been following the forum for about 6 months. Some really great ideas. I used my bread machine for the pizza dough. We love italian sausage and mushroom. Delious!!!!!!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cat,[p]Every since my participation in Spin's pizza clinic at Eggfest, we don't eat pizza any other way than brick oven baked by Humpty. I've also found that leftover Q (on those rare occasions when I have some on hand) makes great pizza toppings.[p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    I can't agree with you more. I am kind of suprised that you waited this long!! We are very pleased with the results of egged pizza.[p]I especially enjoy the totally different smell coming from humpty while cooking pizza. I also enjoy the fact that after cooking pizza, the egg is totally clean. And the flavor/texture of the pizza is wonderful. Hats off to Spin for all of his great insights on this wonderful food.[p]Try pulled pork as a topping. Can't be beat.[p]Happy new year!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Hey Sheryl, bout time you came aboard..6 months?? We need more and more of you ladies to join in. Makes us guys "kinda" behave..heeeee. Cheers..C~W

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cat,[p]You have made my day:-). Congratulations.[p]Spin

• Cat
    Spin,[p]You made mine! And my husband's. First-time success was due to your terrific instructions.[p]Cathy

• Cat,[p]I couldn't agree more. Great directions. Great pie. Nature boy is right - pulled pork makes a great topping.
  • Cat
    Teslamania,[p]It does sound great. The only trick is managing to have some left over![p]Cathy
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cat,[p]If you do have some leftover PP try this: Use just enough pizza sauce to thinly cover the pie. Dip each piece of PP in your favorite sauce and place on the pie. Cover with a generous helping of 50/50 mix of colby and monterey cheese.[p]Spin

• Spin,[p]Your method sounds great. I used bbq sauce and put the pork on top. Cheese would have been nice too. Try BBQ sauce, you might like it.