Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice Rockwood pieces!

Options
XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land

Comments

• SmokyBear
    Options
    I'm on my second bag, and while I've had a (very) few pieces that size, I also have a lot of pieces MUCH smaller - as in, smaller than even RO which to this point I had thought was not great when it comes to decent 'sized' lump..

I know it all burns the same but like to have larger pieces to put at the bottom of my lump pile, to maximize airflow.  (I know - I'm anal when it comes to building my fires..).  So, when you only get a few decent sized pieces per bag, it makes things a lot more difficult..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Size matters
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @smokybear you just can't tell... i'm using RO and the whole bag looks like the lump pictured above.  cheap and readily available at my home depot, i couldn't be happier with it.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    It's a crap shoot for sure.  Probably went thru around 8-10 Rockwood bags before I saw anything of the size pictured above.  Since then it has been good-sized but not over-the-top.  Used to get from a supplier about an hour away but my delivery driver left the scene.  Now get from Firecarft and no change in lump size.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @smokybear you just can't tell... i'm using RO and the whole bag looks like the lump pictured above.  cheap and readily available at my home depot, i couldn't be happier with it.
    Yep!  I'm on a bag of RO right now that has chunks bigger than my RW.  Weird and totally inconsistent - pretty much consistently :)
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • ErnieMcCracken
    Options
    I have a chunk in a bag of Fogo that must be the size of a soccer ball.  It's pretty ridiculous.  I'll have to get a pic of it.  Lots of large chunks throughout the bag.  Not disappointed.  Another one that had a number of large chunks was Kamado Joe (when Ace could get it in).
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Regardless of the brand I have never understood this fascination with huge chunks of lump. Anytime I find one bigger than my hand I throw it in a sack. Then after I have a full bag I take a hammer to them in a hardware cloth screen box I made and break them up with a hammer.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    All good fellas,  just thought I'd share... 

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options

North Carolina land
  • AaronH
    Options
    Good ribs though