Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my butt ok?

Putt a butt on last night. I thought I had the egg stabilized, but ended up falling asleep at midnight. When I fell asleep digital thermomter read 230 grill temp 140 meat. I woke up at 2:15 a.m. and thermometer read grill 133 and meat 136. I ended up putting the meat in the oven because I wasn't able to get my fire going again.  Should I be worried about this meat getting people sick? I'm bringing it to a family Christmas party. Thanks! 

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    It is likely to be fine. Food service guideline says that meats that have reached 140 can only be held safely under 140 for 2 hours. I've measured the time it takes for an Egg with the fire smothered to cool down, and I'd estimate you were under 140 for less than 15 minutes.

This issue has come up many times before, and general opinion is that a rubbed piece of meat that has had a smoke bath, and is sitting in a vessel that inhibits pathogen growth is likely to be safe. Essentially, its a partially cured piece of meat. But if it was ground, or pierced by a tenderizer, then it would be in as much hazard as an uncured meat.
  • Thanks!!! Makes me feel better 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I agree your butt is just fine. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Does this temperature make my butt look..........oh nevermind 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
  • rmercier
    rmercier Posts: 212
    "Great ass!"
    LBGE in Northern VA
  • bacteria is on the outside of the meat.  long dead this far into the cook, and no way for it to have become 'inoculated' again while it sits in the cooker.

you are fine
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Honey is that you?
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)