Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE charcoal: Anyone else having trouble getting their BGE up to temp?

Options
I saw one other thread on this topic but wasn't sure what kind of charcoal was being used.  I will tell you I am going to sound crazy here but I have been using my XL BGE for 5 1/2 years and use it frequently.  I am not a novice and over the years have developed a pretty good feel for how much lump I need to achieve a desired temp and how long it will take to get there.  

But lately I have had repeated issues with not being able to get up to temp.  Or requiring a lot more charcoal than usual to get up to temp.  I have cleaned all of the ash out of the base and made sure to clear out as much ash from the bottom of the egg before I use it.  I really can't wrap my brain around what else the issue is other than the quality of wood in BGE charcoal is not what it used to be, or I have simply lost my "mojo".  But I didn't have these kinds of issues even when I was a novice, not nearly to this extent.  If anything when I was a newbie I made the mistake of walking away when the vents were open and coming back to find it way too hot.  

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to get up to 550 to cook pizzas, not once but twice I had to take off the grid and baking stone, as well as the plate setter, and add more lump.  Completely unheard of for me to have this issue before a few months ago. 

This has happened with a variety of different bags, not just one, but all were BGE brand which I have used religiously since I purchased my BGE.  I also use the same starter method I always have, and my bag of charcoal is stored in the same place as always, not in an area where it could get wet at all.  

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    If you believe the issue lies with the quality of the brand and not an individual bag, then I would suggest you try a bag of Rockwood. It's a forum favorite and in my experience much better than BGE, which is rebranded and marked-up Royal Oak. 
    New Orleans LA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    I would suggest you try a bag of Rockwood. 
    I think that I will give it a try myself ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I'm a convert. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @SGH, I have one of those too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    Options
    Great minds think alike my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a fan of Rockwood as well.
     That said, your comment about how much lump you use to achieve a particular temp is counter to basic egg protocol. Always, fill the egg with lump. It will only burn what it needs and the rest is left for next time. Not getting to temp is an airflow issue or lack of fuel supply issue. Period. Getting your egg to temp is easily achievable with any lump. Try to keep the dust/shake out of your fire box as well. Good luck. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SGH said:
    Great minds think a like.

It's great stuff.  I left the kid off my lump barrel over Thanksgiving and the bag got wet from rain, but the lump was dry.  I was very surprised.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Me too, but seriously I gotta ask - what or how did you wash it in to have ruined the red color that way?   =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    I gotta ask - what or how did you wash it in to have ruined the red color that way?   =)
    I have found that the best way to preserve the color is don't wash them. But I'm kind of a rogue ;)

Status- Standing by.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    I gotta ask - what or how did you wash it in to have ruined the red color that way?   =)
    I have found that the best way to preserve the color is don't wash them. But I'm kind of a rogue ;)
    gotcha - but with you being a cool dude you don't sweat...but for me...someone once said...Ron, for fat boy you sweat a lot!   =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    Where can i get a shirt like that?
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SGH
    Options
    g37 said:
    Where can i get a shirt like that?
    I honestly don't know. Uncle Apple sent me mine along with some vacum sealed potted meat. But I am his favorite nephew by far ;)

Status- Standing by.

• TTUEgghead
    Options
    Thanks all for the input.  I will buy some Rockwood and give it a try.  

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @TTUEgghead  You've got an airflow issue.
    Have you pulled the fire ring & fire box out also?
    Ash will get between the inside base & outside firebox also, clogging the airspace between the two. Make sure the vent hole on the firebox is aligned with the vent door opening as well.
    Just a thought. :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

I agree with the others, fill up the egg with lump every time, make sure it is free of any ash behind the fire box, calibrate your dome Thermometer. You might want to invest in a kick ash basket as well.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    Pretty sure your egg is no good any more and I will do you a huge favor and take it off your hands.
  • TTUEgghead
    Options
    I wanted to give everyone an update after using Rockwood charcoal about a half dozen times by now.  I am very impressed, thank you everyone for suggesting Rockwood.  I can say with a fairly high degree of confidence at this point that the issue was with BGE charcoal.  I have used it for years and it has been fine but after several different bags having the same problem, and yes I had cleaned my BGE as I always do, there was no airflow issue I can assure you, but for some reason I believe the quality of BGE charcoal is not quite what it used to be.  

I even noticed my 20 lb bags of Rockwood feel heavier than the 20 lb bags of BGE charcoal do.  That sounds ridiculous I know, but I just have to wonder if the density of the wood they are using these days is not quite as high as it used to be.  I don't have a scale at home to say with certainty the Rockwood bag is heavier but it sure did feel that way subjectively.  

Whatever the case, I am not having issues any more and I think I will be sticking with Rockwood.  

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I like BGE, Rockwood and Sugar Maple. 

Not stuck on one brand or another. I'll one or another depending on what I'm cooking and how "clean" (or not) I want it. 
    New Albany, Ohio