Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Cook - Still have some learning to do......

Options
Did my first cook tonight, and while for the most part it went ok, I still have some things to learn, which is OK, as I plan on having this for the rest of my life.

So I won an Egg from Knob Creek Bourbon this year, and finally received the egg and got some time to put it together.  Even had a little helper.....

Decided on doing some St. Louis style ribs as a first cook.  Forgot to take some photos before hand of prepping - which I am sort of kicking myself, as I think it might explain some of the issues that I had.  The bone side seemed to have some extra fat/grisel/meat? towards one end, which I haven't seen in others photos.  So maybe it was a bad selection of meat. (Potential issue #1).  I did pull off the membrane, but it was only on what appeared to be 2/3 of the ribs.  Again wondering if it was a bad selection of meat or I was suppose to cut off some additional meat.

Wanted to keep it low and slow (did 3-2-1 method) as I knew the day was going to be hectic - which may be issue # 2.  I was able to get it going and up to a somewhat consistent temperature between 200 and 225.  Threw in a couple pieces of cherry as well.  Of course in the excitement of it all, I forgot to put the drip pan in.  So maybe 40 minutes into it and doing yard work/chasing a little one around, I realized this and threw it in after taking the grate and ribs off.  The temp of course fell, and in an effort to get it back up, I started playing around with the vents.  (Maybe I should have given it more time and  just let it readjust itself instead of trying to rush it - Mistake #3?)  It did finally settle down after it started spiking above 275.

For the remainder of the first leg, I think I was doing ok.  Temps seemed consistent, and the smell was amazing.  Did a Dizzy Pig rub that was rubbed in on the bone side.  Meat side was yellow mustard, and a liberal amount of Dizzy Pig rubbed on.  I was running around and not always keeping an eye on it.  But as I stated, the temps seemed to be doing ok any time I came back to it.

For the second leg, I wrapped up the ribs in some foil, and got them back on.  Once again, I played with the vents a little in an effort to try and get it back up, as it seemed to be stuck below 200.  Of course you adjust things, walk away, and come back to find it is now 300+.  Back to adjusting.  I think I just need to learn that it will come back to the temperature that you want, I just have to give it some more time.  During that time, we were doing some family Christmas photos, which forced me to take my eye off it and not check on it as often.  So I am not sure how long it was sitting at the 300+ mark as we were busy for about 45-60 minutes.  Once I got it settled down and was sticking around it more, it seemed to be fine.  Again, started learning to just leave it alone and it will do its thing.

Last leg, the temp stayed right where we want it to be (225 +/-) and I threw some Sweet Baby Rays on.  Everything looked and smelt amazing.  Even cracked open a new bottle of bourbon to help celebrate the ocassion.

Let the ribs rest for about 5-10 minutes, and dished up.

I thought they looked good.  I thought the flavor was amazing.  The texture was a different story, and almost seemed chewy.  They weren't melt off the bone (though I have read in the professional competitions, this is not wanted.)  There also seemed to be a lot of cartilage, or gristle at the ends (not where the bone is protruding).  Again not sure if this was a bad selection of ribs.  Which if that is the case, what do you look for when picking out ribs?  Did I not trim the ribs enough?  Granted I don't read too much about trimming a lot off the ribs.  It seems to be more about the membrane.  Were the ribs just not on long enough?  I did do the bend test, and did get some cracking - more on the thinner side, than thicker side.  Maybe they just weren't done enough yet.  Finally, I didn't have water or anything in the drip pan - some people seem to put something in, others I thought I read or took as they left it dry.  Maybe that was the issue.

Either way, it was a good first learning experience.  Hope to learn more from the forum, and feedback.  Especially considering I had never smoked anything before.  I can also see where having something like an iGrill that could alert you to spikes or drops (I think it does that) could be helpful or allow you to venture off a little bit more.  Looking forward to the feedback/comments.
Large BGE - Thanks Knob Creek

Louisville, KY

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sound like you answered some of your own questions. Don't chase the temps. They'll come back. 

I'll let others comment on meat selection, but I usually trim the meat on the bone side and make pork burnt ends. 

The best part is, you get to try again!
  • The_Canuck
    Options
    Good to know about trimming the meat on the bone side.  Which I guess if I did that, that might have exposed more of the membrane.  Eliminate that, and maybe it wouldn't have been so chewy.  

Definitely looking forward to future smokes/cooks and learning everything this thing can do.  Cause it doesn't seem that there are many things it can't.  lol.

Louisville, KY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    As above-don't chase the temp once you have it about where you want it.  And for me the best judge of when ribs are finished (beef or pork) is when you can probe the meatiest part and get no resistance.  I have no idea of the meat temp at that time-never have bothered to check. 
    And a trick I use with the BGE dome thermo-I spin the dial so my target cook temp is at the 12 o'clock position.  That way a casual glance lets me know what is happening.  Just be sure you don't mess up the calibration (by causing the nut on the back of the thermo to move).
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Mighty fine looking helper you have there.....and i am not referencing =) the kettle grill. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The_Canuck
    The_Canuck Posts: 56
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "Lousubcap" - A local egghead.  Doesn't seem to be too many of us on these boards - though I might have overlooked some.  Thanks for the tip on the dome temp.  Was thinking something along those lines, but it never came to fruition.

- Question to all - when you open the dome and the temps drop, how long does it typically take for the temps to rise?  I am sure on a hotter fire they will go up quicker, but say on a low and slow cook what do people typically experience?  Do you factor that into the cooking times?  i.e. - if it takes 10 minutes to get back up to temp, should you add 10 minutes to the cook time? Or does that time account for this?

Louisville, KY
  • The_Canuck
    Options
    I am the 3rd owner of that kettle grill.  And I got it back in 2002!  Still works great - but I see its days quickly coming to an end - other than being a place to put stuff on if I take the top off.  I understand now why people have tables built or buy the "Eggmates".

Louisville, KY
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Opening the dome lets in lots of fresh oxygen so the temp can actually rise. The key is be patient. You fire is gonna burn the fuel available. It will come back either way. 

Also, I would suggest you learn to burp the egg as a habit. You start cooking hot, you want to keep your eyebrows. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    1) If the "extra" meat was right at the end of the membrane it was most likely part of the diaphragm.  Cut it off, add some rub, and put it on the egg with the ribs.  It's a cook's treat about two thirds of the way through the cook.

2) A drip pan WITH OUT moisture is a good idea ... additional moisture in the egg isn't a good idea.  Be sure to elevate the drip pan off the plate setter a little bit to prevent any burning of the grease.  The plate setter is normally about 200 degrees hotter than the grill level temp.

3) Yep, don't chase the temps.  Plus or minus 25 degrees is considered "right on the money."  Opening the lid, adding a cold plate setter, adding cold protein, glazing the ribs, and just peeking all screw with the temp inside the egg.  Leave it alone for a minimum of 15 minutes and it'll most likely come back to your set temp.  I think that's why most eggers drink ... gives them something important to do and takes their mind off the temperature.

4) 200 to 225 is a little low to finish spare ribs in six hours.  Also, 200 to 225 is harder to maintain than 250 degrees.  You'll find your egg has a sweet spot around 250 degrees ... cook to that temp and it'll be easier.  Spares usually take about six hours at 250 on my egg.  Undercooking will leave the ribs a little chewy ... suspect yours were undercooked.

Hint: with the plate setter and one rack of ribs, cutting the rack in half and placing the pieces side by side helps alleviate the ends from overhang any of the plate setter.  The bend test is no longer valid ... you'll have to probe with a toothpick to check doneness.  Also, ignore what competition requires ... cook to how you like the protein.

And, great first cook ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Regarding BGE recovery time and cooks-don't worry about the recovery time and always cook to a finish temperature or feel, time is only a guesstimate as to when it might be getting finished.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Seems @nolaegghead has a new handle. Playing it safe including the cute son (actor) pick. 

Beware! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• The_Canuck
    Options
    And this is why this forum is soo great.  Good feedback and a plethora of information to be gained.  Thanks to all.

Louisville, KY
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I concur...your ribs were likely undercooked and cook hotter.  Like 250 grid at a minimum.  The mythical 225 got stuck in our heads as the go to temp.  Screw that noise, bump it up!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Congrats on winning an Egg. That is awesome. Cut little helper, get him involved and teach him the ways as a youngster. He'll appreciate it later in life.

1) Don't chase temps. ONce it stabilized leave it alone. If you open the lid, don't try and adjust the temps or worry about it. It will return to that temp eventually.

2) don't cook at 225. Most eggs seem to be happy at 250. 250 will do the trick and a little bit faster than 225. Especially on briskets and butts.

3) no need for a drip pan. Or water or liquid. Just cover your plate setter with foil and you are good to go.

4) drink plenty of bourbon

5) don't use Sweet Baby Rays. That stuff is nasty. Of course, that's just my opinion

6)buy more ribs and try it again cuz even if you aren't 100% happy, I bet ya had a good time and all enjoyed it.

Looking forward to seeing more cooks in the future.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Griffin said:
    ...  don't use Sweet Baby Rays. That stuff is nasty. Of course, that's just my opinion ...

@Griffin ... I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  From all the hype about SBR sauce, I thought there was something wrong with me.  Well, there still may be something wrong with me, but at least my taste buds have found someone else who agrees.

Might be good on road kill though ... it's got to improve that ... maybe ...

• The_Canuck
    Options
    I was actually going to skip the SBR - but figured the wife would want to see the sauce on the ribs as that is what most people (general public?) think of when they think of ribs.  Now I have something else to try the next time around.  :)

Louisville, KY
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    @The_Canuck - Welcome to the madness!  Those are some good looking ribs!  And Congrats on winning that egg!

The thermo tip is a great one - turning it so the goal temp is at the 12:00 position.  Also, you might want to pull it and calibrate it to make sure its accurate.  Mine was 50 degrees off out the box.

250-275 have been the sweet spot for delicious, fall-off-the-bone ribs in my house.  My daughter, who is 12, asked for ribs for her birthday party.......  I'll call that a win!

Use the current holiday shopping season to get a wireless thermometer so when you go with a brisket or boston butt, you can monitor temps without having to open the dome.  I have the iGrill devices, and I like them. 

Lastly, enjoy yourself.  That kettle would be a great device holder for staging cooks, holding tools, lighting lump, etc.  I'd keep it on standby!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• The_Canuck
    Options
    I did calibrate the thermometer - it was off maybe 15 degrees.  Now it is spot on.  Hoping in less than 9.5 years (2.5 currently) my little guy is asking for the same thing for his party.  :)  

Louisville, KY
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Griffin said:
    ...  don't use Sweet Baby Rays. That stuff is nasty. Of course, that's just my opinion ...

@Griffin ... I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  From all the hype about SBR sauce, I thought there was something wrong with me.  Well, there still may be something wrong with me, but at least my taste buds have found someone else who agrees.

Might be good on road kill though ... it's got to improve that ... maybe ...

I bought it when it first came available in our area and everybody was hyping it. I thought it was disgusting, said so and got flamed for it. I was on a "crusade" for awhile saying how bad I thought it was anytime anybody mentioned it, but that was years ago. I haven't said anything about it in awhile and probably won't again, but honestly I rank it right up there with Kraft bbq sauce...horrible. But to each his own. We all have our own opinions, even if mine is right. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Jeepster47
    Options
    We like ribs without any sauce added during the cook ... everyone sauces to their taste at the table.  At last Saturday's dinner (pulled pork), with eight people around the table, we had three different sauces on the table to satisfy the various tastes.  Oh, and one doesn't like any sauce on her BBQ.

An extra advantage of cutting the rack in half is that you can use two different rubs, glazes, foil-or-don't-foil method, etc. to sort through what your spouse really likes.  Forget what she says, just watch which half she goes to for seconds ...

The dial rotation is a good tip ... just pull the clip off the stem and throw it in your junk drawer.  The clip can bind up the stem and any rotation of the dial will throw the calibration off.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That clip is a good spacer for drip pans. 
  • BuckeyeFork
    Options
    Seems @nolaegghead has a new handle. Playing it safe including the cute son (actor) pick. 

Beware! 

You are so smitten, just ask nola on a date
     already THEBuckeye.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

welcome, we've all been there with those first bunch of cooks!  pretty soon you'll have temperature control down pat - getting a good fire lit with good airflow and knowing what vent settings work for you.

ribs are pretty forgiving. you can do them hotter and faster and get a very good result.  just be careful with higher temps if you're rub or sauce has sugar.  (of course, getting the ribs done faster takes away a lot of excuses - honey, I'm going to be smoking these ribs all afternoon, and I *HAVE* to drink beers while I do it to get good results!)

@griffin they sell that stuff by the barrel here in Chicago.  I have yet to convince my family that it's way too sweet.  on the bright side, my kids will eat anything with SBR on it.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle