Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do You need to Brine a Turkey Breast?

Options
Alan
Alan Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I caught Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast (w/wing meat) on sale and was getting ready to smoke it. I hve brined and cookd whole Turkeys in the past an like the technique.[p]I'm not sure if this Turkey breast has additional processing such as adding salt that would make brining inadvisable.[p]Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Alan

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Alan,
    The package should mention if there is any solution injected into it...or soaked in. If there is no mention on the package, I think the brining option is wide open. If you don't overcook the breast meat (165 optimum), then the results will be just fine without the brine. FWIW.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Alan, as Nature Boy has suggested, my humble opinion is also to pass on brining a Butterball; they are already 'treated' and basted and not prime candidates for brining.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Alan,[p]Nature Boy is totally correct, in my opinion. I do them often and never brine them since they are prebasted already. You will like the results! They absorb smoke very easily so be careful. I use a light olive oil coat on the skin to make it brown up nicely. 350 deg over a drip pan works well.[p]Tim

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    I decided to brine the breast, but used a lower salt concentration than I normally would for a whole bird. I used 1/2 cup salt + 1/2 cup sugar to a gallon of water overnite in the fridge. I rinsed it, rubbed it with olive oil, and put it on. It took just short of 3 hours at 275, and tastes great.[p]Thanks for all of the advice!
    Alan