Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt ready almost 9 hours earlier than I am serving it

Larry McSass
Larry McSass Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any suggestions? I will put it in the cooler with foil and towels, but how long can it last like that? How can I heat it back up if I need to? It's about an 8 pounder and it took right at 16 hours to cook, a little faster than I expected.

Comments

• Brobear
    Brobear Posts: 43
    Same problem this morning (look a few posts below) :).

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coolerholding.htm
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Larry McSass,
    'done' can vary.
    i've pulled them off at 185, and as much as 205, both good.[p]you can let it cruise superlow, say 200dome, until it takes a few hours to hit 200, 205.[p]or try the cooler trick. foil, wrsp in towels, put in a cooler. but that's about a 4 or 5 hour deal. you might be able to stretch it to 8.[p]if no chance of any of those, pull it now and reheat

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    How do you reheat it? Crockpot? stovetop?

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Larry McSass,[p]Well, at least you didn't have guests circling the cooker doing the butt chant waiting for that dude to finish. I like to buy 7-1/2 or 8 pounders as 16 hours is my magic number.[p]4 or 5 hours in the cooler is no problem, just leave your cable thermometer in the butt and you can monitor the internal temp. If it is 135° or higher you are good. I did see 3 butts wrapped in an electric blanket in a marine cooler hold for 8 hours. The guys just adjusted the thermostat as needed and kept them right where they wanted.[p]9 hours coolered without some help, might be pushing it, so you can rest for an hour or so then refrigerate whole. It will take about 1-1/2 or 2 hours to reheat back up to 165° and it will pull fine. OR you can rest for a couple of hours in the cooler, pull and put in foil pans, adding some of the juice or broth or Coke or apple juice for the reheating liquid. The pans take about an hour to reheat. I use 250° oven for reheating.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Larry McSass,
    foil pans, foil on top (sealed) in a low-ish oven. some add a bit of coke [p]honsetly, if it's me and the wife, the microwave is best. lots of folks poo-poo it, but a minute on high for a handful, doesn't change the meat. only heats the water in the pork.[p]i supposed a crock'd be good too. keep the lid shut, maybe add the bbq sauce if any. [p]all these require it pulled. remember, if you DON'T pull it now, you'll basically be trying to heat up an 8 pound butt at 250, and it'll take nearly as long as it took to cook! ...no plateau though

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,
    Thanks. I am thinking I will pull it in about 2-3 hours, put in fridge, then reheat in crockpot on warm about 1 1/2 hrs. before gathering.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    coolergraph.gif
    <p />Larry McSass,
    This is coming up a lot today! See the graph or the page below. You can hold it for about 5 hours above 140 degrees. Of course, you still have a couple hours after that and still be safe.[p]TNW

[ul][li]Holding Meat In A Cooler[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    So what do you suggest I do? 5 hours is still well before we are supposed to eat...does refrigerating it and heating up in crockpot make sense or should I do it in the oven? Thanks