Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few questions before my first overnight cook

Options
Herm
Herm Posts: 206
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got 2 Butts at about 7.5 lbs. each. I think I've read every website and post about pulled pork, so now I think I have too much info.[p]Here's a few questions:
-Do I calculate roughly 2 hrs per pound for 7+ lbs. or for 15 lbs.?[p]-How much hickory? (I saw some that said 1 chunk, while others said 6 to 10 chunks)[p]-Do most folks add bbq sauce in bulk after pulling? or do you let guests add themselves?[p]Thanks everyone!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Herm,
    I would guesstimate between 15 and 18 hours at a dome of 230°-250°....[p]1 to 2 chunks of wood should be plenty, palm size to fist size...10 chunks of wood would taste nasty in my experience..[p]I let folks sauce on their own, some may not want any.[p]If you are not using a guru, be sure to give the lump/ash a wiggle from below befoer going to bed and you should be fine.[p]Wess

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Herm,[p]Cooking time is based on the weight of single pieces, in this case a 7-1/2 lb. butt will take between 11 & 16 hours depending on your temp. Two 7-1/2 lb. butts will take the same time. A 4 lb. butt willl take about half of the time.[p]A word of caution: Many folks loose their fire on their first overnighter and have had to deal with food safety issues. You may want to get your temperature in the 250° to 270° range on your first few cooks. With time you will learn to work with lower temperatures. Pork butt is very forgiving.[p]Wood flavor is a personal taste, you can barbecue without any or you can use several chunks. 10 chunks sounds way too much. I split my chunks into sticks and mix them into the lump. If you use enough wood to get gentle smoke for the first 4 hours that will be fine. [p]I like to let folks add sauce at the table, and even though I don't use sauce, I make two or three to choose from.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Thanks for the great info. Wish me luck!