Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware's new black face thermometer - a WINNER!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
My two SmokeWare thermometers arrived today and even with just one use tonight I know I'll love them! As you see they have a black face with white numbers and hash marks. Being 3" they are easy to read compared to the smaller Tel-Tru thermometers I have been using. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Thanks for posting.  Now there's another thing I need to add to the list of goodies to have.  But I do like the looks of them as compared to the BGE factory supplied ones.

Will be ordering them very shortly.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    On second thought, adding to the list is a waste of time.  I ordered two of them and they will be here by Tuesday.  Thanks, I think.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    At least they didn't mispell BBQ on the new ones  ;)

LOL - I know! IMO I think they also discovered that eggers don't need to be lead blindly telling us what temperature range is used for this or that. I believe that first attempt merely followed other thermometer types for the clueless folk who believe the hype that the BBO(BBQ) season runs from Memorial Day to Labor day and all the help they can get is needed! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited November 2015
    Now that's funny as hell ... not that they misspelled it, but that I've been using mine for a year and never noticed.  Even went so far as to e-mail Matt and tell him that writing on the hash marks was a mistake.  Guess that's a few more points on my village idiot scorecard.

@DoubleEgger ... Pssst ... don't look now, but you have a misspelling in your ten word post.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    RRP said:

LOL - I know! IMO I think they also discovered that eggers don't need to be lead blindly telling us what temperature range is used for this or that. I believe that first attempt merely followed other thermometer types for the clueless folk who believe the hype that the BBO(BBQ) season runs from Memorial Day to Labor day and all the help they can get is needed! 
    Oh now I have to BBO year round? guess I better get the BGE out of storage! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    Whats the difference between Smoke and BBO?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Those new ones are sharp Ron.  

Those old ones...not sure I'd trust a BBQ thermometer that misspelled BBQ. 

Phoenix 
  • RRP said:
    Tel-Tru thermometers I have been using. 

Ron back in the day there was the long stem short stem debate regarding theTel-Tru thermometers. Does the new Smokeware have a short or long stem, how accurate is it compared to the Tel-tru's and does it have any protection under the adjusting nut or are you still using your wooden tinker toy wheel (The crap I remember)?
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I like the new black ones. I bet you can see where the needle is from further away and with less sun glare. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    Tel-Tru thermometers I have been using. 

Ron back in the day there was the long stem short stem debate regarding theTel-Tru thermometers. Does the new Smokeware have a short or long stem, how accurate is it compared to the Tel-tru's and does it have any protection under the adjusting nut or are you still using your wooden tinker toy wheel (The crap I remember)?
    No comment on accuracy, but the black face one @Jeepster47 has is short stem and has a rubber type gasket protecting the nut.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Who actually reads the thermo? I just rotate the dial so the temp I desire is in the 12 o'clock position and at a glance I can see if the needle is vertical (desired temp) or high or low.

That said, I have always preferred black dial faces. Most of my watches have black dials.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    So am I getting this right? Nobody has checked calibration or actually accuracy in comparison to the OE Tel-Tru?  How about a pic of the backside of the thermometer and a pic installed on the egg showing depth of the probe through the dome. I've been waiting for this arrive for awhile. I was hoping to see this one with the white areas as glow in the dark. After speaking to Matt I understand why the glow in the dark was 86's. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    HeavyG said:
    Who actually reads the thermo? I just rotate the dial so the temp I desire is in the 12 o'clock position and at a glance I can see if the needle is vertical (desired temp) or high or low.

That said, I have always preferred black dial faces. Most of my watches have black dials.
    I've tried this method because it would be easier to read from the house, but having the dial twisted drives me absolutely crazy. I just got used to where the dial should be at. Not as easy as your method, but it keeps me from going insane. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I'm with @stemc33 .  Rotating the dial messes with my head.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @stemc33 and @Ozzie_Isaac - perhaps you just need to be a little adventurous with the thermo dial concept.  After all, doesn't an indicator at high noon have a comforting feeling to you??? ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    lousubcap said:
    @stemc33 and @Ozzie_Isaac - perhaps you just need to be a little adventurous with the thermo dial concept.  After all, doesn't an indicator at high noon have a comforting feeling to you??? ;)
    It's all in what you're used to doing. I tried it for a while and keep thinking my egg had shot up to 450 degrees! 
  • Jeepster47
    Yes, Smokeware came out with their new black face 3" thermometer just in time for winter egging.  My eggs are located on the basement walkout patio where they're 18 feet from my contemplation chair.  The OEM thermometer dial simply wasn't large enough to be useful.  I installed one of SW's red/white/blue 3" thermometers and used it all last winter ... loved that I could monitor the temp from inside. First observation last night was that the black face thermometer will be even better in the visibility department.

As to length, the new black face is 3-1/4" from the nut to the tip, the red/white/blue thermo is 2-15/16", and the OEM BGE thermo is 3-3/8".  All three are nominally the same length. (Rubber washer removed from the back of the SW gauges for clarity.)

Quick pic of the three dials together:

@NPHuskerFL ...  I've found the SW temp gauge to be as accurate as the BGE. Haven't had any major drift problems with either one, but I don't do that many 600 degree plus cooks.  Have had fogging problems with two BGE gauges, but no problems with the SW gauge.

My main complaint with the BGE 3" dial is that it's similar to unicorns.  Try to buy one ... part number is TPTXXL. Matt's got two different dial faces readily available on his website for a very reasonable cost.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Jeepster47 Thx!  I'll be waiting till after the Holidays to pick mine up from Matt here locally just in case the jolly guy slips one into my stocking :santa: :smiley: 
    I really like the new face & agree it would seem easier to see from a distance. I do the 12oclock position on cooks which helps but, the face on this one should prove easier to see regardless of position. Agree that the OE Tel-Tru fogs up or gets condensation...never worried about it much because it gives accurate readings which I find to be most important. I like the 3" dial and have found the Tel-Tru 3" unicorn but, for a 100 bones they can keep it. Thanks for the side by side comparison. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Just went on the Smokeware site, I don't see the black gauge, only the regular one. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    @SoCalTim ... black face:

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/black-smokeware-temperature-gauge

Red/White/Blue ... with a touch of gray for the old folks:

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/smokeware-temperature-gauge

Go to their home page and register for their coupon code ... it's worth it.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @Jeepster47  - Thank You!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • cmac610
    cmac610 Posts: 145
    Ordered!
    Craig aka Cmac Cooks
    Amesbury, MA
    #BGETeamGreen #TeamArteflame #TeamBarrelProof
    XL BGE, Mini-Max, La Caja China, Arteflame Classic 40, Arteflame One 20, Arteflame Euro 20, Cotton Gin Harvester, Weber Classic, Gozney Dome, Anova wifi Sous Vide.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    @SoCalTim ... black face:

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/black-smokeware-temperature-gauge

Red/White/Blue ... with a touch of gray for the old folks:

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/smokeware-temperature-gauge

Go to their home page and register for their coupon code ... it's worth it.
    Can't do that because Big Green Egg sells these so they can't be better

• Bad ass. Want. 

Better get before thread goes the way of the Buffalo. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .