Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I am looking for a great (not good) Chicken Tortilla Soup recipie....

Options
Now my preference is more along the broth(y) side of the spectrum as opposed to the heavy matter based consistency. Surely one of you Texans or Southwest folk know of a great one (not good one)?
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Now my preference is more along the broth(y) side of the spectrum as opposed to the heavy matter based consistency. Surely one of you Texans or Southwest folk know of a great one (not good one)?
    The secret is starting with Guajillo Broth and then just make a regular chicken soup in that. Then add chips and cheese when ready to serve. I'll post the full write up for you later if nobody else chimes in with theirs. The Guajillo broth is another thing I've been working on lately. It's goooood

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Best I made was with homemade stock from a smoked chicken.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited November 2015
    Options
    homemade stock is way better but you can use store bought in a pinch. you basically take whichever broth you are using to a boil and steep 2 Guajillo peppers in there until very soft (like 30 min). Once the pepper is softened, put it all in a blender and blend until very smooth. Then strain out the solids and you have the perfect Chicken tortilla soup broth. Here is the technique for the soup from the Master (TFJ- she makes the best chicken soup on the planet)

After your broth is made, saute' some rough chopped carrot, celery, and onion until they start to soften. We like to use sous vide chicken breast but if you don't, you would add 2 bone in chicken breasts and the veggies to the broth at this point. If you use SV chicken, you would add this in later.

Once the veggies (and raw chicken breasts if you are doing the old fashioned way) are in the broth, you bring it to a boil, quickly move it down to a low simmer for 30 minutes. This next step is crucial- take it off the heat, cover it and let sit for 2 hours. do not lift the lid for 2 hrs (it's magic). I would add roasted pablano pepper strips before putting the lid on and letting it rest.

After the rest, pull your meat off the bone and add back to the soup or add your SV chicken if you do it that way and reheat until very warm. 

As you serve you would add a few avocado slices, 1/2 ounce of white colby cheese, some tortilla chips or corn tortilla strips sliced thin (we do the chips), some fresh cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime.

Boom- Chicken Tortilla soup

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Forgot, you would also add salt to taste at the end. You can play around with adding a little cumin and Mexican oregano to the broth in the blender. We don't normally but those are pretty common ingredients. 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I use a recipe my wife found in the "America's Test Kitchen" recipe book.

We start with a Costco Rotisserie Chicken. Clean off all the chicken and store it in the fridge. Take the carcass, some onion, carrots, celery, garlic and whatever your preferred seasonings are and throw it all in a Crock pot with enough water to cover everything on low for 24 hours. Cool. Strain. That's your broth.

Heavy Pot (Le Crueset or similar). A bit of oil. Throw in a bit of chili powder (we have a smoked chipotle powder). Start browning whatever you want. We throw in some finely chopped carrots, Jicama, and onions and very finely chopped jalapeno. When you can smell the oils coming off of everything, thrown in some pressed garlic for just a few seconds, then pour in the broth. Add whatever larger veggies you want (if any). Cook until the veggie reach your desired tenderness.

Prep all your goodies (sliced green onion, diced tomatoes, Avacado, shredded Pepper Jack, etc). A couple of minutes before you serve, throw in the chopped up chicken. Serve with Tortilla chips and all the goodies. I use Siracha to get the heat up if I need more.

Works for me.
    South SLO County
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SoCalWJS said:
    I use a recipe my wife found in the "America's Test Kitchen" recipe book.

We start with a Costco Rotisserie Chicken. Clean off all the chicken and store it in the fridge. Take the carcass, some onion, carrots, celery, garlic and whatever your preferred seasonings are and throw it all in a Crock pot with enough water to cover everything on low for 24 hours. Cool. Strain. That's your broth.

Heavy Pot (Le Crueset or similar). A bit of oil. Throw in a bit of chili powder (we have a smoked chipotle powder). Start browning whatever you want. We throw in some finely chopped carrots, Jicama, and onions and very finely chopped jalapeno. When you can smell the oils coming off of everything, thrown in some pressed garlic for just a few seconds, then pour in the broth. Add whatever larger veggies you want (if any). Cook until the veggie reach your desired tenderness.

Prep all your goodies (sliced green onion, diced tomatoes, Avacado, shredded Pepper Jack, etc). A couple of minutes before you serve, throw in the chopped up chicken. Serve with Tortilla chips and all the goodies. I use Siracha to get the heat up if I need more.

Works for me.
    I like it.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Wow, that sounds great, definitely saving this one, do you use whole breast or 2 halves?
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    logchief said:
    Wow, that sounds great, definitely saving this one, do you use whole breast or 2 halves?
    If you are talking to me we use split halves

• pescadorzih
    Options
    I save the bones from my chicken thighs when I debone them and the backs from spatchcocked chickens and cook them down for stock.
    Always have plenty of chicken stock on hand.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You folks are the best. I love that stuff.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow