Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot & cold chicken

Options
Bamabob
Bamabob Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now I done votin' can get on with other important stuff.Question,been cooking up several whole chickens(one at a time),had them brined, marinated, and setting on wire chicken rack in shallow drip pan on fire bricks. Temp at 300° steady,polder in left thigh,(toward left side of EGG).Temp hit 172 after about 40 min.Checked right thigh with small ponder,it read 140.Thought probe might be squirreley so checked left side with small polder,it read about 175, pulled probe out and put it in right thigh,it read about 145. Either got a left legged chicken OR a left sided hot spot.Coals looked pretty even,drip pan seemed fairly centered on grill,any ideas? Can't handle kinda undone chicken.THNX Bob

Comments

• Chipper
    Options
    Bamabob,
    Maybe this chick was a Demicrat? ;-) Seriously though, were you hitting a bone that was out of place, or was the chicken partially frozen when you put it on?

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Options
    Chipper,
    I thought I might be close to bone so took temp in breast and other areas of thigh,chicken temp was around 50° when put on grill,I,ve done several before, never had this problem,next one I'll try rotating rack about half way through cook.Thanks for reply. Bob