Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody ever smoke a leg of lamb?

Options
Paddy-boy
Paddy-boy Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to smoke a whole leg of lamb, bone in. Looking for a good recipe, kentucky barbeque-style if possible. Need to know what woods to smoke with too. The more traditional, the better!

Comments

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    Paddy-boy,[p]How about this one???
    [ul][li]http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesKentuckyLamb.html[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    2004_0131Image0012.jpg
    <p />Paddy-boy,
    this looks like the recipe your looking for. it uses a shoulder however, which is probably better for what you want to do. ive done something like this with the leg and its important that you wrap it when the internal hits about 170 degrees with foil and add the mop or some seltzer water and then continue cooking. this is what it looked like with a leg and the foil wrap after pulling it.

[ul][li]kentucky lamb[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Paddy-boy
    Paddy-boy Posts: 4
    Options
    ChrisC,[p]Superb!! Any thoughts on brining before smoking? While the square cut looks great, me and my beer-soaked pals are into quantity, so a leg will probably do the trick.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nice touch with the pint of guinness.... why the concern about wrapping foil after internal temp hit 170? did the outside meat overcook? did you consider brining, or does that even make a difference?
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Paddy-boy, are you absolutely tied into the bone-in? I like to take a leg and remove the bone, splay the meat out as much as possible and flatten as much as possible to get it approximately rectangular in shape. Then splash it with a bit of the Kentucky nectar (bourbon)and cover with basil and mint leaves. Roll it up and tie it with butcher twine and cook over medium heat (350) until you get about 145-150 internal. Let it rest a bit and slice it about an inch thick. Don't know if this is "Kentucky BBQ" style but it certainly gives you a "Kentucky Mint Julep Lamb Roast"

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Paddy-boy,
    Try this one. It is for a shoulder, but will work for a leg. Have fun!

[ul][li]Lo-n-slo lamb (Meshoui)[/ul]