Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much can you really fit on one of these?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy all -[p]I am smoker shopping right now, and am torn between the BGE and a Klose pit. I am a Texas boy, but now up in Chicago, so I think that the Egg has an edge on temperature stablity when it gets colder around here, and from what I understand, is a lot easier to manage, not requiring the hourly log feedings that an offset smoker (like the Klose) would need.[p]My only real concern is grill space. We are a family of five, my wife and I and three teenage sons (plus one off at college). So the question is, can I really cook enough ribs/pork butt on a Large BGE to feed this crowd plus another family if we had company. I have a hard time imagining more that about 7 racks of ribs on a L one, and perhaps 10 on an XL. Do any of you have luck cooking a ton?[p]Thanks,[p]J

Comments

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    John Daddy (newb),
    3 or 4 8-pound pork butts is no problem on the large. I am still working on the rib thing, so I'll let someone else answer that one. Check out the post below for an e-bay egg in Grand Rapids.[p]For what it's worth, I use my egg for smoking - I did ribs last Friday, but I also use it for roasting things like chickens, alder plank salmon and baked potatoes at 350-450, grilling burgers at 550 and steaks at 800+. I'm not sure the offset will do that and an egg grilled steak is better than anything I cooked on a series of gassers in 15 or so years.[p]Ed

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Hi, John!!...On a Large BGE....Using a standard BGE set up.....GENERALLY SPEAKING........You can easily cook three 7-10lb. Boston Butts....A 20-22lb. Prime Rib....A 20-24lb. fresh ham....A 12-14 pound beef brisket.....7-8 full slabs of baby back ribs....About the same number of full sized St. Louis-style pork ribs....20-22 large chicken wings...A 14-16 pound Turkey....2 full-sized spatchcocked chickens....And it's important to keep in mind....there are some VERY, VERY creative folks here on the BGE Forum that have developed various apparatus' to cook even more slabs of ribs and other cuts of meat at the same time....And they'll share that technology with you....And that really is the beauty of owning the BGE....Alot of people here with way more experience that I have that are willing to help.....[p]With a full load of lump charcoal....You easily get over 20 hours of cook time with no additional loads necessary.....But these aren't "set it and forget it devices"....Still have to check them every couple of hours or so....Or at least until you get the hang of things.....[p]Good luck![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL[p]Do yourself a favor....get the new Big Green Egg DVD...and check it out!...There is a reason why the BGE has a cult-like following....The BGE can make you into a LEGENDARY backyard chef!! (LOL!).[p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />John Daddy (newb),
    i wont tell you that this was the easiest cook, but 2 8 pound butts and 2 8 pound flats is my biggest cook. 2 butts and 1 packer would be easier to do. 3 butts would also be an easy cook. ive seen 7 beer but chickens posted on this forum as well, as long as you keep some air flow it will work. most of us add a second egg which gives the option of cooking at 2 temps[p]5a1453bd.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    gratenribs.jpg
    <p />John Daddy (newb),
    here is 6 racks on end. As you can see there is room for more

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    panblackenedsteak.jpg
    <p />John Daddy (newb), Without a doubt, you can cook more on a Klose and they are fantastic stick burners. But honestly, can you do this in a Klose with reasonable satisfaction? So, even if you get a Klose, get an egg, just for the steaks. It will pay for itself in no time: you won't go out for steaks no-more. [p]Just another opinion from Big D......Tom

• Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    105_0509.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,
    OK, I've only got 5 chickens but I coulda had 7 if I wanted to!
    Paul

• Unknown
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Thank you for the response. It looks like you went MacGiver on a couple of Weber grilling surfaces to make your rib rack. As for fitting more, the guy in the BBQ store indicated that some people just pile them in. To me, that sounds like a recipe for disaster with inadequate heat distribution and cooking. It looks pretty maxed out at 6.[p]Thanks again for the help.[p]J
  • tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Options
    John Daddy (newb), there is a photograph floating around the archives of this forum somewhere with 48 rib racks on a large egg.....maybe someone will post it. One of my relatives did three 13 pound turkeys on a large at one time. You can get a lot of food in an egg because it cooks from the retained wall heat, not just the bottom coals.Once you taste Egged food you will wonder how you lived without it....

• BurntOfferingBBQ
    Options
    One thing to remember....The beauty of the BGE is the quality and how versitile it can cook. I have a large smoker myself for big events but the BGE can not be matched on how many different ways to cook on the egg.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sandbagger,[p]I expect that I could. The firebox on theirs has a lid with a grill under it (20" x 20"), so you can quick fire stuff right over the fire (as well as cook tortillas on the lid). To me the real disadvantages of the Klose are:
    - Fire needs more tending (especially compared to BGE with Guru)
    - More climate sensitive (tougher to keep temp stable when either really windy or really cold (note, I live in Chicago)
    - More money ($2,000 to get what I really want)[p]On the other hand, it is better if I want to feed 20 people without having to juggle grub through the oven, and will give you the true smoke.[p]I think I am going to pull the trigger on the Egg, and see if I am even responsible enough to use one (I am, after all, converting from propane).[p]Thanks again all for the advice.[p]J

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    8-Butts-20-hours.jpg
    <p />John Daddy (newb),[p]For less than a price of a Klose, you can do this and much much more while haveing unprecedented flexiblity and best of all.....You get to be Eggsimilated! Go for a pair of Big Ones![p]RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    John Daddy, you can get "true smoke" on an Egg as well. I agree with Sandbagger, get the large Egg and then if you really need to cook for 30-50 folks, get a Klose as well. I have cooked for 200 folks on a Egg but I will admit I had to use all mine (Large, Medium, XL) and borrow a friend's nameless ceramic cooker as well.[p]But if you're going to get a Klose, make a statement. A restaurant nearby has a Klose grill in the front of the restaurant which is shaped like a giant pistol. They do cook on it and get some very acceptable BBQ off of it.

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning John Daddy:[p]I have been able to put as many as six slabs of baby backs on my medium, so I'm sure six would not be a problem on the large. Click on the link below to see how they fit and how they turned out. You can get pretty creative and still turn out some great Q.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay[p]

[ul][li]LOTS OF RIBS[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    If you've got to be one, be a big green one! To paraphrase a military saying.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • Bluegillman
    Bluegillman Posts: 54
    Options
    tach18k,
    Nice rack for the ribs, who makes them or where can I get one?

• Sportsman's Lodge
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    What do you have coming off you vent at the bottom of the BGE?

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Sportsman's Lodge,[p]One is a BBQ Guru and the other is a Pit Minder E-Temp.[p]They are great at keeping the egg at a constant 225 for 20+ hours without any tending.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas