Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costa Rican Pineapples Are In Season

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While at the West Side Market on Saturday, I noticed that Pineapples from Costa Rica are in season. The reason that I mention this is that Costa Rican Pineapples are the best that I have ever tasted. They are big and juicy and sweeter than sugar. I only paid $2.50 for the large one that I purchased. They were Dole Pineapples. If you get a chance to try them, you will be in for a treat. Over the next month or so, Fresh Pineapple will be part my family’s diet.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    clean-screen.jpg
    <p />RhumAndJerk,
    Pineapples do real good in a dehydrator,put a cherry in the center.We got our pictures back from Eggtoberfest,their is couple of you cooking on your mini egg.
    Larry

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Try Mike O's recipe (link below) - it's fantastic.[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]Grilled Sugar-dipped Pineapple[/ul]
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Cat, I've tried these super-sweet pineapples (I think they called them 'Gold'in our local stores and markets) using Mike O's recipe, which has become a favourite around our house. I found them a little too sweet when matched with the butter and raw sugar, and maybe not as firm as regular pineapples. They are great on their own, but a bit of 'too much of a good thing' in the grilled sugar-coated recipe. Just my personal opinion; someone with a sweeter tooth than mine might just like the extra sweetness of these Costa Rican 'Gold's on the grill.
    BBQfan1

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]Thanks for the warning! I haven't tried the Costa Ricans on the grill yet. I also prefer not-too-sweet desserts. [p]Since these are so naturally sweet, maybe they'd caramelize with less sugar than the recipe suggests. Or how about adding some heat (a sprinkle of cayenne) to offset the sweetness? [p]Cathy
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    About the only thing that beats them is actually having the pineapples while sitting on a beach in costa rica! They happily drip all over you into the sand and you walk into the ocean water to rinse off. Maybe we can do a fest down there. Thoughts?

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    MollyShark,
    That sounds heavenly! Costa Rican Coffee is also one of my favorites. The cost of a Costa Rican Eggfest would be way too much, but a nice thought any way. [p]At one time there was a company that was shipping Coffee Wood for smoking. Does any one know if they still exist?[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I remember when Javi was trying to get some free advertising on this forum to promote his coffee bean smoking wood. They pulled the rug out from under him in a hurry.[p]He is still in business at the link below.

[ul][li]Costa Rican coffee bean smoking wood[/ul]