Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Bird

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's getting to be that holiday time and the wife is real nervous about me cooking the turkey on Humpty. I have to sell her on a sure fire recipe. We usuallly have about 20 people over and cook a 20-25 lb. bird. I just read Puj's Turkey and it looks real interesting but I'd like to have barrage her with a multitude of choices. If I blow this in the words of Ricky Ricardo I'll have "some splaning to do".
Eggsperts help please.[p]Big Cat

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey1.jpg
    <p />Big Cat,[p]I would always suggest doing any cook for practice before having to do your first with guests as judges. I can recall several - less than succesful cooks. My first turkey was done with too low of a dome temp and with too much smoke. I don't care for much smoke and turkey (foul in general) absorbs a lot easily. Your first question is how much smoke do you like?? If lots, then figure on a chunk of pecan. If little to none, then you'll be cooking at 350 with no wood added. [p]My wife brings home turkey breasts for Butter-Ball. They require only an olive oil coat on the skin to brown it well. I don't do anything but drop in on a V rack which is over a drip pan.[p]Tim
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Big Cat,[p]Here is a great recipe that is always rewarding. I do 12-14 lb turkeys using this recipe and give them as Christmas presents. I've only used it on a 25 pounder once, with equal success.[p]As a 25 lb turkey tends to be a bit tougher than a 14 lb one, I'd suggest you consider brining the bird. Brining is easy, with the only challenge being a monster bird.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Super Buzzard recipe[/ul]