Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Peeling

Options
My egg is a couple months old now and this morning the Gasket started to peel.  Let it get a little to hot when I was prepping my pork Butt.  It is within the first year so should I go to the dealer and get a new one for free or am I better off to spend the money and purchase something better.  I have seen comments on the site before about someone that sells a much better gasket.  if you don't mind posting their info that would be great.  

Dave

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Rutland from @rrp just message him, he'll hook you up. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I would recommend contacting @RRP on the forum to get a new Rutland gasket.
    It's easy to install and he will send you detailed instructions and you will be set for many years of trouble free cooking.
  • BIll-W221
    Options
    Being a member of this forum the rutland is in your future anyways, might as well just do it now.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sure why not get the warranty replacement gasket. It can be used to seal Smokeware etc. As far as the dome to base I'd just go with a Rutland from @RRP and be done with it. 
    FWIW the gasket shouldn't do this in a few months. Saw another member with almost identical write up. Hopefully this isn't a trend. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks all - Dave has contacted me and I have replied. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    FWIW the gasket shouldn't do this in a few months. Saw another member with almost identical write up. Hopefully this isn't a trend. 
    A trend? Ha. Perfectly normal for BGE. No, it shouldn't, but it does. Bought my large in '09. Two months later, with no high temp cooks, gasket was toast. My local hardware store sells Rutland by the foot ($0.79) and I've had no trouble since. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Obeseninja
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone getting hooked up 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No your gasket shouldn't be peeling off that quick.  Hit up your dealer and get it replaced.   I know this is not the popular belief around here but you can get several yrs of use from a properly installed high heat gasket from BGE.  My large is on year #6 and the small is on yr #3.  And both have seen plenty of high heat cooks. I think the major player in fried gaskets is the dome not being adjusted properly letting the really hot air pass through the leakage spots thus frying the gasket.  This is just my opinion.   

I think @skiddymarker will second this opinion.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.