Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Brisket Rub and Tips for Newbies

I have been experimenting with Brisket rubs for the past six years and have found the recipe below to be the best. 

Two things to note:

1. Don't cake it on, you want the rub to be complimentary to the beef flavor, not overpowering.
2. Leave the seasoning on the brisket for at least 24 hours in the fridge before cooking (first layer in plastic wrap, then second layer of foil wrap)

4 tablespoons kosher or coarse salt
6 teaspoons black pepper
6 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 teaspoon oregano leaves (dried)
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
¾ Cup Montreal Steak Seasoning

Give it a try and I think you'll be very, very happy. 

My tips for those new to smoking brisket:

Have a drip pan filled with water and/or beef stock (I usually put some seasonings in the water as well).

When placing on grill, place cap side up with fattest part of the brisket facing away from you towards the back (usually it’s the hottest area on a komodo/egg grill).

***Cook at around 235 degrees until meat temperature reaches 185-190 in thickest part (that's the range when the fat renders to an edible state).  Immediately wrap it in two layers of heavy duty foil and put it in a cooler (the cheap Styrofoam ones from the supermarket work fine as long as it's thick).  Let it rest for at least 40 minutes, but a few hours in there won't hurt it either.

Don't freak out when it reaches the stall or if the internal temp rises too fast in the beginning, because it WILL hit that stall.

Mix chunk wood (I usually prefer a mix of cherry and oak or cherry and pecan) in with the lump charcoal – Ratio: 1/3 wood, 2/3 lump charcoal.

Go by temperature, not time.

Don't peak too much or for too long.

Enjoy the fruits (or meats) of your labor!

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited October 2015
    Can you clarify?  Do you use 1/3 the volume of lump as wood chunks?  Does that affect your temp control?

oh... And welcome to the forum. Would love to see your results (pics)!!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    @Chef_Hobo thanks for the tips! I have been looking for some clarification on brisket cooking 
  • BigWader said:
    Can you clarify?  Do you use 1/3 the volume of lump as wood chunks?  Does that affect your temp control?

oh... And welcome to the forum. Would love to see your results (pics)!!
    Correct.  One third of the volume as wood chunks.  Doesn't affect it too much since I mainly use oak with only a piece or two of either cherry or pecan.  The drip pan underneath also helps with any flare ups.  Thanks for the welcome!  It's about that time to do another brisket for work.  I'll snap a pic or two when I do.  Remember Not to soak the wood as well.  Meant to say oak and pecan, not cherry and pecan, sorry...
  • Hobo, thanks for the brisket rub recipe and tips.  I saved your post to my recipe file.  I like your ingredients and mix.  Can't wait to try it.  Thanks again.
    Hello, from New Orleans!!  
    "Land of pralines, red beans, creole queens & pinball machines."