Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picnic Shoulder

Options
First time cooking a shoulder and it turned out very well. Cooked q little faster than usual between 225-250, took 12 hours for 9 pounds (after trim). Unfortunately I didn't take a pic after pulling.. My bad lol, of course posting my drink of choice for the cook. Am I glad the egg holds temps for a while!
LBGE
Atoka, TN

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Looks great !
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    @Eggcelsior did two of those at Brisket Camp, removed the skin (leaving it attached on one side) and rubbed with a rub he made, replaced skin, and smoked. I didn't get a chance to try them but I was impressed with the cook and will try on next picnic shoulder. This one also looks great. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Love that cook. Make my own "moonshine" that's called "apple pie".  Neighbors love it.  Got to try a picnic on my next cook, as I have been using the Armor Butts from WalMart at $2.09/pound for the last several pulled pork cooks.
  • Rebhanmh
    Options
    I took all the skin off and reduced the fat cap to about ab1/4". I also flipped it over and took out the veins and silver skin to make it cleaner. Very surprised with the cook and the taste after all said and done. However, I think I will revert back to Boston butts from now on out. I smoke with Oak by the way.
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Rebhanmh said:
    Reminds me of one of my favorite songs....and old Bluegrass tune that The Jerry Garcia Band rocked it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYbXyxPh0Q
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Nice cook!   I cooked a couple shoulders this weekend and am continually amazed how awesome they turn out when cooked on the egg.  Like butter.  Beautiful pork, great bark and killer flavor!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Rebhanmh
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Nice cook!   I cooked a couple shoulders this weekend and am continually amazed how awesome they turn out when cooked on the egg.  Like butter.  Beautiful pork, great bark and killer flavor!
    Totally agree bro, presentation and taste was amazing but I have to give the edge to the butt!
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN