Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

installing rutland today

Options
Good morning!  I plan to install the Rutland gasket today on my XL that I got from @RRP aka Ron Pratt, Dunlap, IL a few months ago.  In the directions in says to "bunch" up.  What exactly does that mean?  Do I try to push it back on to itself or stretch it out to be wider?  I have found pictures of everything but the bunching step. 
Can anyone provide some clarity? 
Thank you!

Chester, MD

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sort of pushing it back together.... Dont stretch. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Just split the job into 4 sections on the egg surface. Give it a dry run  to get the feel. Once you start you get the hang of it quickly. 

• AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    Like bunching up your shoestring to make it wider.  Make sure you get the edge of the egg really clean first.  You'll be fine,  I just did mine too. 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • mshump
    mshump Posts: 212
    Options
    I too was very worried about the bunching. Look at the pics on the Naked wiz site to see how it looks after bunching. It actually is very simple. I worried about running out of gasket material, when I got done I had 2-3 inches left just like RRP stated in his instructions. It was a very easy process. It took maybe 30 minutes or so with my wife and I to lay on the new gasket. The cleaning IMO is the most important step, take your time and be patient on the cleaning.
    Danville, Il
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Guess you forgot what all was in my original reply to you including the links to pictures, but here it is again...

Are you familiar with the application process whereby you compress or "bunch" the gasket back into itself thus making it both thicker and wider than the 5/8" so as to cover your entire edge? In doing so you  apply the Rutland on ONE side only - not both and my recommendation is it is applied only to the base, not the dome.

“Bunching” is really simple.

Lay your gasket down like this with your fingers on it:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3613_zps324d4ba6.jpg.html

Now slide your fingers together while pressing down:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3614_zpsf2e3d754.jpg.html

See how the gasket is now wider and thicker? That is “bunching” and you’ll get very good at it very quickly.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_3612_zps466a1547.jpg.html

I recommend you "bunch at least 6" or more ahead of ever pushing the gasket into the bed of adhesive. You want the Permatex to bite and grab right from the start with very limited moving other than to align it with the curvature of the egg's base. When properly laid your finished gasket will look like this.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Ronald44/media/Gasket%20pix/IMG_0383.jpg.html

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DIAD
    DIAD Posts: 187
    Options
    Perfect!  Thank you all.  I really appreciate it!
    Chester, MD
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I got mine from RRP and the instructions were great. I found it easiest to bunch up about 6 inches to get it started with the adhesive. Then I applied about 8 more inches of adhesive and bunched the gasket as I went. It wasn't hard to do, just take your time. I didn't have any extra when mine was finished. I would have taken more pics but I was working alone. And yes, that is a brand new egg in the picture.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    Does it make a difference which side of the gasket goes up? Just received mine the other day, it has a slight cup in the center, but didn't see anything in the directions on that aspect
  • RRP
    Options
    feef706 said:
    Does it make a difference which side of the gasket goes up? Just received mine the other day, it has a slight cup in the center, but didn't see anything in the directions on that aspect
    Cup side down. OK?
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    @RRP read you loud and clear
  • DIAD
    Options
    Update:  I did not get to this today.  2 different hardware stores where I live did not have the rust/paint stripper wheel or A pumice stone.  They did have the wire brush but the directions advised against that.  I'll pick one up at a Home Depot tomorrow. 

I couldnt drive 30 minutes each way just for this.  I ended up taking a boat ride.  Not a bad thing!  
    Chester, MD
  • RRP
    Options
    DIAD said:
    Update:  I did not get to this today.  2 different hardware stores where I live did not have the rust/paint stripper wheel or A pumice stone.  They did have the wire brush but the directions advised against that.  I'll pick one up at a Home Depot tomorrow. 

I couldnt drive 30 minutes each way just for this.  I ended up taking a boat ride.  Not a bad thing!  
    The pumice stone is a common cleaning product and I'm surprised neither hardware store carried them! Next time check your grocery store, but that pumice cleaning is optional, but is worth it. As for the stripper wheel that too surprises me! Those are so common nowadays and don't be hung up on the brand name...the numerous knock offs from China work fine. 
    Glad your day wasn't wasted though! 
  • DIAD
    Options
    I finally installed the Rutland today.  My question now is do I let it cure for 24 hours or should I run a low and slow for period of time?  Thanks in advance!
    Chester, MD
  • RRP
    Options
    DIAD said:
    I finally installed the Rutland today.  My question now is do I let it cure for 24 hours or should I run a low and slow for period of time?  Thanks in advance!
    The  manufacturer specifies it needs 24 hours to cure as it is a chemical curing process and external heat will not speed it along. Besides why not be patient for this mere 24 hours since you will be free of gasket woes for years to come!  
  • DIAD
    Options
    Thanks Ron!  Last question....When I do cook again should I have food on there or just do a low and slow for some period of time first?  I have to cook 4 briskets this weekend so I want to be prepared.  THanks
    Chester, MD
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Once it's cured, cook away. No need to wait.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    What CarolinaQ said! After the cure let it rip - there is no need to baby it as the BGE isn't even capable of reaching a temperature at gasket level to even phase that gasket! You are finished with wimpy burnt up gaskets! 
  • ScottNC
    ScottNC Posts: 240
    Options
    As another "RON" has said, "Just Set It & Forget It!"  =)

Western, North Carolina

Large, MiniMax, Blackstone 17" Smashburger Griddle & Stuff