Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New pans

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
wife and I need to upgrade our pans.  Any one out there have experience the the enamel coated cast iron?   
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    It's very good equipment, and.very expensive. Good luck to you and the wife.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For the money, Lodge has some good stuff.
    Cooks just as good as my high dollar Staub.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I would guess there are different qualities, but I'll say that I use a pan from 1967 at least twice a week on the grill.  Enamel is scratched some, but but only surface scratches.  Not a chip on the pan.

Please review whatever you end up with @ryantt  .  I've been looking at another piece or two of enamel.  The lodge seems to get good reviews, as Photo Egg mentioned.  

Phoenix 
  • Creighton1984
    Options
    We started out with a Lodge enameled dutch oven.  Within a year of moderate use the enamel in the bottom center of the pot began to crack and chip.  Reported it to Lodge and they said it was customer misuse.  Tossed the pot, switched to Staub and haven't had a problem since.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    For the money, Lodge has some good stuff.
    Cooks just as good as my high dollar Staub.
    +1
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Is it Enamel over STEEL or CAST IRON?  

https://www.lodgemfg.com/dutch-ovens/5-quart-cast-iron-double-dutch-oven.asp

I want the linked piece for Christmas!    

My brother never heard of Lodge!   But he swears his 'vintage' Wagner and Griswold are 'the best'.    Lodge, started in the late 1890s is a newcomer!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think it's best to have mixed variety of pans or cookware. I think everyone should have a couple good SS pans, enameled cast iron DO is a must IMO. The rest is preference. I also have de buyer pans. I have a couple good non stick pans. Don't get caught up in the "set" mentality. Just like knives, buy individual pieces that fit your needs. Happy shopping. 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    It depends on what kind of pot or pan you want and what you want it to do. I have several pieces of Le Crueset. I love it. Have had them almost twenty years. No issues. I would buy pieces not sets as well. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I have a Le Crueset from the mid-1950s. Probably been used at least once a week, maybe more. The interior enamel is no longer shiny, but still smooth enough to clean easily. Assuming they are still made w. the same quality, given a little better care than I and my mother before me gave the skillet, I'd expect a new one to be fine for a hundred years.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For what it's worth, I think it's best to have mixed variety of pans or cookware. I think everyone should have a couple good SS pans, enameled cast iron DO is a must IMO. The rest is preference. I also have de buyer pans. I have a couple good non stick pans. Don't get caught up in the "set" mentality. Just like knives, buy individual pieces that fit your needs. Happy shopping. 
    I was going to say the same thing.  I love cast iron for some things but I wouldn't necessarily want an entire set of it.  A simple light pot is better for boiling water for example. CI is slow to heat so it will take longer (unless you have an induction cooktop, but any induction pan will heat quickly).  I prefer a normal pan for cooking eggs or omelettes that I can flip. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i have lecrueset, lodge, and a marshalls home goods knockoff. if you dont have a high end stove with a large built in simmer plate then the lecrueset is no better than the other two cheaper versions. pick the lodge as a good pot at a descent price. i do like my lecrueset braisier pot (they renamed it fait tout) as its big and the lecreuset casserole/lasagna pan as its pretty much indestructible. i also like my 80 year old heavy plain jane aluminum sauce type pots as they boil things very fast and are easy to clean, and i wouldnt do without my tin lined copper chowder pot as im convinced it makes better chowder =) if your searing things you dont want enameled, just a castiron skillet with a smooth interior, my lodge skillet is way better since i ground and polished the interior
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ryantt
    Options
    @Jstroke looking to buy something that will last.  Wife loves our cast iron DO and 12 frying pan but thinks the coated stuff would be easy to care for on a daily basis.  I don't mind spending money on something that will last.  

• fishlessman
    Options
    my extremely old aluminum sauce pans are wear-ever with wooden handles, i think they were my great grandmothers, maybe even her mothers =) they still make those pans just not with the wood handles, they also make one highly polished for omelets which might be my next pan as i hate the coated stuff. my last coated omelet pan was one of those ceramic coated green pans, into the trash it went
    fukahwee maine

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've had a le crueset for 30+yrs. and still going strong.  Got a big lodge soup pot a couple of years ago as a gift and really like it.  Haven't used any of them on the egg yet.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • gdenby
    Options
    they also make one highly polished for omelets which might be my next pan as i hate the coated stuff. my last coated omelet pan was one of those ceramic coated green pans, into the trash it went
    After I saw the Julia Childs episode where she made omelettes, I decided I had to get a real omelette pan. The polished ones she used are still sold at the Pot Shop in Boston. I thought they looked too expensive, so I bought a stainless 12" from Calphalon.  Ended up spending about a week buffing it up to mirror polish. Turns out that the ones from the Pot Shop are still the best. They are aluminum, which diffuses heat much better than CI or steel.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @ryantt, my wife likes Calphalon, because they last a long time have a great warranty and are light.  I just use what is available. Calphalon also carries a lifetime warranty on most of the products. The le crueset sound nice and will have to look at them if our pans ever get bad.  The CI I have is all for using on my XL and my wife doesn't like that they heavy, but they are durable.  Happy Shopping.  Remember, happy wife, happy life.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:
    they also make one highly polished for omelets which might be my next pan as i hate the coated stuff. my last coated omelet pan was one of those ceramic coated green pans, into the trash it went
    After I saw the Julia Childs episode where she made omelettes, I decided I had to get a real omelette pan. The polished ones she used are still sold at the Pot Shop in Boston. I thought they looked too expensive, so I bought a stainless 12" from Calphalon.  Ended up spending about a week buffing it up to mirror polish. Turns out that the ones from the Pot Shop are still the best. They are aluminum, which diffuses heat much better than CI or steel.

not as thick as the pot shop pan but it is aluminum and would be really easy to polish to a mirror. almost 3/16 thick aluminum

http://vollrath.com/Wear-Ever-Ever-Smooth-Fry-Pans-with-Natural-Finish-1882.htm

fukahwee maine

• ryantt
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed everyone. My wife and I are going to take a trip to the bed bath and beyond to see what they have to offer.  

• gdenby
    Options
    not as thick as the pot shop pan but it is aluminum and would be really easy to polish to a mirror. almost 3/16 thick aluminum

http://vollrath.com/Wear-Ever-Ever-Smooth-Fry-Pans-with-Natural-Finish-1882.htm

Thanks for the tip. My storage cabinets are just about jammed, bit noticed the other day I had a big plastic storage container sitting empty that could be well used elsewhere. More than enough room for another pan when that's removed.
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Ive found that cast iron is good on induction cooktop, so its a double winer.
    They say they have the best prices on CI so take a look at the induction website.

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • ryantt
    Options
    Thanks @FlyingTivo.   We went to the store tonight and there are so many nice option out there....anything has to be better than our 12year old Walmart set (it's seen better days).  

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Le creuset 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin