Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Pizza Success...

SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0001.jpg
<p />Finally got it all right at the same time! Pizza was delicious...My 12 year old put it away!

Comments

• Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    SuperDave ,
    Next time brush a little olive oil around the first inch or so of the crust where you don't have sauce. It will make it crisp and delish! Don't tell your non-egg friends! It's a secret...
    Jack

• SuperDave
    jackbythesea,[p]Actually, I did brush it with light olive oil... but I don't think I got enough on there, or 450~500º isn't hot enough. They cooked in about 12 minutes each (did three) and this is the first setup and pizza cook that was really successful for me.
    Next time I'll use regular olive oil and a bit more. Thanks!
    Happy Egging!

• Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    SuperDave,
    Dribble a little from the bottle or a spoon after you put all the toppings on and you can also sprinkle some good grated parm. cheese too.
    Jack

• SuperDave
    jackbythesea,[p]Now that sounds like a plan! Maybe even a little coarse sea salt around the crust too! Ummm sounds great!

• SuperDave,[p]Nice looking pizza and I have a question with your baking setup. It looks to me that you have the plate setter in there with the legs up, grid on top of the legs, and then a hearth stone on top of the grid. I think most folks would do this setup with the legs down on the setter and wonder what this does for your baking without the double thickness of the stones. Interesting setup for sure.[p]Dave

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Old Dave,[p]I like to get the pizza "up in the Dome" for a nice crisp crust. I use a grid extender to get it higher with a big stone on top.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SuperDave
    Old Dave,[p]I was having trouble with the crust burning and the top still not done. I've been experimenting with different setups, and this one is the most successful for me. It takes about twice as long to cook the pizza.... 10~12 minutes vs. 5~ 6 mins. with the pizza stone on the plate setter.
    Before I was trying to cook them around 650º, this cook I reduced that to 500~550º and it was purrrfect! Seriously, had the full smokey taste but didn't burn the crust or nuke the cheese with raw dough. Give it a try some time, you'll like it! This was my first successful pizza cook out of about 5 attempts.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    SuperDave,
    When I cook pies from the local pizza joint, I do them at 550 with the plate setter legs down and a stone on the setter. I think, tho, that you can get different results from different types of dough and that different temps are sometimes required. 650 would burn the crust on these pizza pies that I get.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz