Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging in the rain

Looking for tips for egging in the rain. 

im not really against getting a little wet, although it's annoying.  My bigger concern is with temp control.  The rain seems to knock some of the heat out of the cooker. If I'm going low and slow, this can take my dome thermometer down below 200 and I'm concerned with the fire dying.  

If if I up the temp, there are spikes when the rain stops.  

How do you guys regulate temp in unfavorable conditions?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Blazing new territory here as I have never had an issue with the BGE maintaining a stable temp once set regardless of the outside conditions, rain or snow.  Hopefully some who had had the experience will be along but absent anything else-get your temp stable and don't worry about it as the fire to set and maintain the original temp is the same volume fire and anything within the BGE will do just fine.  Cook to temp and if running late dial it up...FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    My only concern during hard rain is it getting inside the Egg. That is why I use a chimney cap in the rain. But you do not have to all should be fine.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    More info, that will hopefully be helpful.  

I have a smokeware cap.  So rain coming in through the top isn't an issue.  

I do, however, have a slight underbite.  Is it possible too much exposure from the gasket is allowing the rain an entry point? Seems unlikely, but ultimately I don't know 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I don't see any evidence of temps getting knocked down during a rainy night. I did a 14hr cook over Friday night where we got several inches of rain and I stabilized at 250 and it was at 250 when I pulled it off.  It was very satisfying to see the consistent temp for the whole cook without any "baby sitting".
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    I've seen multiple people say this, but it has not been my experience at all.  

A light rain doesn't effect it noticeably, but a heavy rain will cause my egg to drop 25-50 degrees.  At 225, that's a problem!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Well then -react and dial it up.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Georgia is getting rain but not heavy. Still, I'm ready for heavy stuff if it tries to ruin my brisket cook.http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMewiUYQ6zM
    Best - Jack