Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any one Egg pig ears?

Options
A couple local markets sell pig ears. I came across an interesting recipe to make a terrine from them, which I intend to try. And I've seen recipes for boiling them, then frying strips to get crispy bits. I suppose there is a method for Egging them too, and was wondering if any one could offer some pointers.

Comments

• A5firearms
    A5firearms Posts: 163
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My dogs like them just the way they are. No need for all that extra work! ;)
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My dogs like them just the way they are. No need for all that extra work! ;)
    Yeah, yeah, I know. They're nasty bits.

But here's a note. Beef tenderloin is the muscle that extrudes cow pies. And most people will eat them just about uncooked. And pay a small fortune for them.

• bclarksicle
    Options
    Done whole hog head but never just ears. Standing by! 
  • gdenby
    Options
    I did a whole head, but the ears ended up burnt, and the snout almost as bad.

I guess they are not the easiest thing to cook.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    gdenby said:

When cooking them still attached to the head, I foil the ears and snout for most of the cook and remove the foil a few hours before finish.

As far as just the ears by themselves, sorry, no help here, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • gdenby
    Options
    DMW said:
    gdenby said:

When cooking them still attached to the head, I foil the ears and snout for most of the cook and remove the foil a few hours before finish.

As far as just the ears by themselves, sorry, no help here, but I'll be looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.
    Thanks. Did you wrap the ears tight? When I did mine, I squeezed the foil w/o much  pressure. So, maybe w/o a tight seal, they dry out and turn to ash.

One market today had the ears at 2.99/lb. About a 25% increase over 2 weeks ago. Gonna wait and see if the price comes down. I can get very good chops right now for less.

Go figure?
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    After intentionally passing over this thread many times, I had to look thinking this was scarcasam.....all the best on this one. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    hmmm ok?  Waiting for pics lol

• gdenby
    Options
    The Asian mrkt that usually has them was asking 2.99 today. Too many $s for me. And worse, there weren't many, and the ears didn't look as fresh as usual. Will keep looking for a better price, and post when I can make an attempt.