Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stove/Rope Gasket Problems

Zip
Zip Posts: 372
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had switched over to the stove/rope gasket in place of the felt and it appears to have a problem worth speaking about. The graphite impregnated fiberglass has started unraveling and breaking down. I noticed some on the back of the pizza peel after a cook and was a little taken back. I can say it has lasted close to a year, but the thought of eating fiberglass is too great a risk.[p]I just removed the gasket and will be going back to the felt with a bead of high temp silicone around the outside edge for the seal.[p]Ashley

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Zip,[p]Thanks for the heads-up and for sharing your experience. I bought some stove rope a while back for a gasket replacement and just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I will definitely rethink this stragedy now.[p]K~G
  • Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    KennyG,[p]I have been using graphite/fiberglass tape rather than rope, and only on the bottom lid. I have been using it since July and I haven't had any problems. It gives a great seal and doesn't smoke or stick shut like the felt does.[p]Jimbo
  • KennyG
    Jimbo,[p]I also bought the flat fiberglass tape roughly the same width as new BGE gasket felt. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I wonder. I'll be replacing the original bands with the new autolock system this weekend and this would be a good time to address the gasket issue. I'm not really sure what to do......[p]K~G

• Jimbo, Ijust replaced my felt gasket with the tape type (bottom only) and have found that I don't have a good seal. It maybe the locking hinge mech. problem. I have ordered another gasket kit and intend to put it on the top hoping to get a proper seal.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Tim H.,[p]Did you reseat the dome? If you have gaps in the gasket you might need to reseat the dome. Loosen the bolt(s) on the dome only while the dome is closed. Wiggle so it fits flush - if it won't, then you might have a band problem. We have only seen that one post about defective hinges, so I don't think it is wide spread or common. Note: removing the stainless bolts will 95% surely snap it as you try to back off the nut. This is common and should be expected because it requires the bolt to be very tight and it bends. [p]I have had my original felt gasket for 2 years now and it stuck once in one spot and never again. The key is to keep food, grease, cheese, etc off it. Do that and it won't stick (sometimes the brand new ones will anyway).[p]Tim
  • Tim M, Yes, I did reseat the dome ,but as soon as the band starts to become snug, the edge nearest the hinge raises.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    KennyG, [p]I sent out about 4 or 5 kits to fellows free of charge to experiment with. They were the flat 5/8ths wide by 1/4 or so thick material. I recommended that they use it only on one side of the dome, top or bottom, and I personally prefer the top to eliminate spillage on em.[p]So far I have had 100% positive reports back on it with only one exception and that was for a period of time there was some smoke leakage thru the material. For what reason I am not sure. It too may have been a band setting problem.[p]I would avoid the round rope material and stay with the flat 5/8th thick style product Item # 95.[p]When used on one side or the other it provides a equal amount of material as used in two felt strips on both surfaces. This will provide enough material to dampen the lid and the probe wires for remote thermometers.[p]As with any type of seal, if you provide a oxygen source to the material it may very well deteriorate. When the dome weight is supplied, there is no gap air movement if the dome is seated correctly. Barring of course badly mfg bands as supported by GeoM.[p]I personally would have no problem putting on the GraphoGlass graphite material, in fact, like some others, I am waiting for the opportunity to make the change with material on hand. [p]IMO, every individual that deviates from the standard factory mode seal is doing it at his own options and risk.[p]BGE provides a self adhesive tape at a nominal charge of around $10.00 for the standard felt seal.[p]Kamado Corp in Sacramento has been using the graphite type of seal for several years now, with good results.[p]Hope this helps to sort out the information...![p]Cheers..C~W[p]
  • KennyG
    Char-Woody,[p]Thanks and I knew I could count on you for timely well researched advice. The material I have sounds similar to what you've described but perhaps not exact. It was purchased at a fireplace shop but did not carry the Rutland name. The store had several sizes and shapes and sold it off the roll and by the foot. Mine is pure white in color which leads me to believe there is no graphite content.[p]You've made me feel much better about applying graphoglass as a gasket replacement. I will first check with the store to ensure that this is what I have.[p]Ken

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Jimbo,[p]Rope or tape is the same thing, the tape is just rope sewn flat. The one falling apart is the flat Rutland as CW described on one of my cookers. On my other cooker I had used two pieces of 1/4" round first and they were showing some signs of wear as well. The two large's are used for cooking pizza and steak, so they are subjected to high heat every cook. [p]I have removed the stuff from both cookers due to the possiblility of fiberglass ingestion. I have had fiberglass in my mouth before and it is not fun.[p]Ashley
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Tim H.,[p]And it actually lifts the dome up??[p]Tim
  • McKevin
    McKevin Posts: 47
    Char-Woody,[p]I was one of those who was supplied with the freebie. I applied it to the bottom only, cause I never spill anything ;) & it is still looking & working great.[p]This rig sees 225* butts, nuclear steaks, & everything in between...[p]Kevin

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    mckevin, good report. Nothing like having alternative views in its use and durability.[p]I sure wouldn't want to continue to advocate the use of a product that may contaminate a food source, so Ashley's topic is worth considering. [p]I wonder how much of the fiberglass would survive the initial heat if it did break loose into the fire chamber area. [p]Since Rutlands use of it is on the exterior doors of coal and wood burning steel stoves and fireplace doors there would be little chance of that occurring. Its something to consider in using it on the BGE or other cookers. [p]Kinda consider yourself as a test pilot volunteer..:-) Somebody has to take the risks..I will be trying it next![p]I just sent a sample to Frans in Australia so the word is getting around. Not requested, but it slipped into his box of high temperature furnace cement somehow..:-)
    Cya...C~W