Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Did Not Work

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone,[p]PC180014.jpg[p]P7190019.jpg[p]I have been doing frozen pizza & pre-made crust pizza just fine on the egg, but I went to do one from scratch and I messed up. Essentially, I made my pizza crust on my counter and put my toppings on - but then I could not move it. When I finnally forced it, it looked more liked a messed up calzone.[p]Should I buy a 'pizza screen' and make the pizza on it instead? If the pizza is cooking on a screen, does it still get the 'stone effect'?[p]Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,
    I assemble my pizza on a wooden peel that has had a bit of corn meal scattered over it. Don't leave the pie there too long without giving it an occasional shake. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Jackbythesea
    Jackbythesea Posts: 102
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,
    I made pizza this year at the Waldorf Eggfest and used pizza dough bought from my local "Italian" pizzeria for $2.00 for a large. Stretched it out on a floured board and transfered it to a wooden Pizza Peel with a little cornmeal on it to "dress". Cooked at 500* dome until done. Secret - brush some olive oil around edge of crust before you top. You'll never do frozen again!
    Jack

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,
    The Naked Whiz has the key......dust your paddle with corn meal, and the other trick is that once the dough is on the paddle, don't 'push' it down, and shake it now and then to make sure it's 'loose'.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,
    Parchment paper under the crust works well to prevent sticking and you can bake with it on. Or you can get an air bake pan at Target and assemble and bake your pie in it. -RP

• Frozen Chosen
    Frozen Chosen Posts: 131
    Options
    jackbythesea,
    This is the right idea. I would change the stone set up this guy has as well. I have perfect results every time using a plate setter with the stone placed on top of it (saw this set-up here some years back), so the pizza is at a level 4-5 inches above the grill level and there is about 2 inches of ceramics to prevent any possibility of burning. My most difficult challenge was finding a dough recipe, I went through several dozen, from very easy to unbelivable complicted (2 day process; milk, olive oil, honey, conrmeal, keading, re-kneading!). In the end, one of the simplest turned out to be the best for my tastes.

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,
    Screens work great for me.[p]Big T[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for your comments everyone![p]I will try the cornmeal option. Also, any suggestions on where I can purchase a pizza screen that can withstand 700 degrees?
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,[p] I'm a decent bread baker who uses 'refresh' dough for pizza dough rather than toss it. Even with days or a week in the refrigerator, I just warm the dough back to room temp, shape it with patience (it wants to shrink back constantly)... corn meal (or you can try rice flour) ... , as TNW states ... you must move it/shake it, or it will stick, then onto a stone of your choice. I like to use parchment paper underneath, but some will disagree. [p] Each artist is unique and must choose the final result. I prefer a crispier crust and work the dough larger and thinner. Others make a very different choice. I also prefer a more simple pizza and have come to enjoy quality fresh tomatoes (sliced thinly), fresh (homegrown) basil, fresh mozzarella cheese .... seasoned aggressively with fresh, chopped oregano and dried marjoram flakes. [p] One key (for me) is to marinade some freshly crushed or chopped garlic in quality virgin olive oil for at least one hour and then spread a thin coat ove the entire pizza dough (just after shaping) to final size. Then add your condiments.
    About 12 minutes +/- at ~500+*F (rotating around 6 minutes) and you should have a pizza few others ever experience. [p]Just some thoughts to share, since I am still in early grades when it comes to quality BBQ.[p]Tom B.

[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,[p]I use a screen.
  • Unknown
    Options
    FriendlyEgg,[p]There is always the "Super Peel". Gives you the flexibilty to move it when you want and to put it exactly where you want. You can use or not use cornmeal or other sliding enhancers. It will easily do the "pick up" you were trying to do. Check out the videos. [p]Gaspar[p]
    [ul][li]Super Peel[/ul]