Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot Egg Rib Rescue Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, trying to follow the 3-1.5-1 recipe and my Egg just got out of control temp wise when I opened it up to foil the ribs. Im up to 380. I have it all shut down but its still hot I am afraid to open it cause it will probably get hotter. Should reduce cooking time now or what? currently running at 383. Help I got six nice racks on there getting too hot!!!

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    cpbatl,[p]I think your best bet is to foil them and put them in the oven. If you can get it to settle back down to 250 or so you could do the "finish" back on the egg.[p]JNK
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    cpbatl,[p]Had that problem on occasion. In the future you might shut down the lower vent when you open the dome for any length of time to prevent too much air flow -- it can still get away from you but this can help. [p]To hasten the cool down you can shut down the bottom vent and leave the top vent just cracked to let some heat out. Also pop the dome every once in a while helps. You aren't trying to extinquish the coals so they need just a touch of air. Needless to say, burping the top (a quick short open and close) will help prevent flashback.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    cpbatl,
    Open up the foil take the end of the bone and give it a little twist - not too hard - but hard enough to see if the bone will twist out easily. If you feel the bone would come out easily then take the foil off and finish them on the grill.

• Unknown
    Options
    JNK,
    try to put in pan with cover foil with 1 cup liquid and let simmer on low heat

• Unknown
    Options
    cpbatl,[p]Anyone ever try misting the inside (or maybe even the outside) of the egg to cool it off. I know it would take more than a couple squirts. Would it take so much that you'd risk thermal shock and break something?