Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 large filets in CI on the egg - need advice

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Never tried steaks on CI and need some advice on searing and cooking temps, etc. Should I use butter in the CI?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited September 2015
    No on the butter cuz of the smoke point isn't high enough.  Go with canola, grape seed or vegetable  oil. Sear on side 1 for 2-3 minutes, flip and go 8-10 minutes assuming your cooking filets. If ribeye or bone in more time is required. Rely on the thermapen pulling at 115 for finish of med-rare.  Longer of course for more done. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • eggo
    @bgebrent 2-3 mins on one side then 8-10 mins. Is it then done or do I take them out of CI and finish  on the egg? Sounds like entire cook is in CI.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • bgebrent
    All in the CI until IT you prefer. Then rest 10 minutes and know it will gain 10 more degrees with carryover cooking.  Assuming you have the CI on the egg at 400-450 and that you let your CI get very hot before placing the filets. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @bgebrent said "No on the butter cuz of the smoke point isn't high enough.  Go with canola, grape seed or vegetable  oil."  +1

One other thing - oil the steak, not the CI.  Light coating of oil on the steak, then S&P. 

Is your CI well seasoned?
    +1 @Tjcoley on oiling the protein!  Nice catch!
  • eggo
    Thanks to the advice here, they came out perfect (no time for pics) according to wife and daughters. I used what I had, EVOO, and I oiled the well seasoned CI. Next time I'll try oiling the meat. I pulled them at 115 and let them rest a few minutes and they turned out med rare, just what we wanted. Seasoned with garlic salt and BP. Delicious.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    10 minute test is perfect time for pics.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS