Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fast Bristket?

Options
I'm in the middle of a brisket cook. 12.5lb Packard. Dome temp maintained 240-250.... My internal is already 205 only after 9hrs of cooking. The prob moves freely through out most of the brisket except for the very end of the flat .... What kind of result can I expect?? Never had one go so fast.... Nervous..
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Should be fine if it's probing like buttuh. My last one, 15#, was like buttuh in less than 10 hrs running 235℉
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You are finished-don't worry about the thin end of the flat.  (Unless it was foil protected it is probably best used chopped.)  Let it cool on the counter for around 15-20 mins then slice against the grain (see Aaron Franklin brisket "the payoff" for how to slice the whole thing) if ready to eat.  Since I doubt that is the case once the rest is over, FTC until ready to slice and eat.  And regarding what to expect, the quality of brisket going in has a lot to say about that.  FWIW-
    BTW-my last 4-5 prime packers have been running around 0.7 hrs/lb with the dome around 260*F so you are in that ball-park.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I feel for you. I've had several cook that fast. I usually wrap them which explains the fast move through the stall, but not always. Your brisket might be a bit lean. Wrap it up. 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    I will FTC it for hell 6 hours.... Not planning on slicing until 3:00... Thanks 
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Prepped cooler and 6 hour FTC is no problem.  Enjoy the eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    I am currently on the tail end of a brisket cook. I noticed on my temp graph that I hit a high of 193 earlier, but the feel of the brisket is not quite that buttuh feeling. However,my temp is now going in the wrong direction. My reaction has been to raise my dome temp which had dropped to 210. Any opinions (insert chuckle)?

No DigiQ or FlameBoss here. Still a new guy learning the temp control game the old school way.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Let it go til its buttah. Get your temp up to 275. Just crack it open a bit. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Good call to raise the dome temp.  I would look to stabilize in the 260-280*F range to get the brisket home.   Old school works-that's how I run mine.  I find that the BGE's seem to have a sweet-spot in the 240-260*F range where they will ride with little operator involvement.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @pgprescott - good call :)  Posts passing in the ether.
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    @pgprescott and lousubcap, thanks. Dome temp currently at 250 and the temp of the brisket has turned. I am about 11 hrs in on a full packer that started out just shy of 16 lbs before trimming.

@alton, my apologies for hijacking. My packer got to temp quicker than anticipated and was dropping and I thought my post might help your situation as well.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta