Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Help... with Blue Cheese Crusted Filet (Mothers Day)

Options
Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey y'all![p]My wife informed me yesterday that she wants a Blue Cheese Crusted Filet for Mothers Day. The steak part, no problem. The "crust" is my area of concern.[p]I know she has had one that looked like it was Panko bread crumbs and blue cheese combined and then lightly browned. That one looked really really good. I just am not sure if it there is anything else that would have been in that mix. Any ideas?[p]There was a second on that I think was just blue cheese crumbled on top and then browned in a salamander.[p]She liked them both. [p]Any ideas for the "topping?" [p]Also, what type of bluecheese? Maytag? Gorgonzola? [p]Thanks for any ideas y'all got![p]E

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    The only ingredient I would add (and I'd think long and hard before adding it) would be cracked black pepper to compliment the saltiness of the cheese.[p]I've been thoroughly enjoying a wedge of Saga Creamy Blue that I think would go very well on your filets.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    Thanks Ken, [p]By the way I really like your rubs, and I'll need to order some adult sizes soon. I say adult sizes because my 10 years old daughter and I keep "taste" testing them on single servings of different foods. She told me to get some more, in bigger bottles, not these kid sized ones. LOL[p]E
  • Chrispy Bob
    Chrispy Bob Posts: 93
    Options
    Eggecutioner, Something like this?[p]CB[p]
    Blue Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon with Port Wine Sauce
    Submitted by: HebeGebe
    Rated: 5 out of 5 by 43 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 25 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
    Yields: 4 servings
    "Worth the effort! Tender and flavorful, great for a dinner party. Make the sauce a day ahead to cut down on the prep time."
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/2 cup minced white onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh
    thyme
    3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth

1/2 cup port wine
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    4 filet mignon steaks (1 1/2
    inch thick)
    3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
    1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring constantly, until onion is tender. Stir in the beef broth, scraping any onion bits from the bottom of the pan, then stir in the port wine. Bring to a boil, and cook until the mixture has reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set aside. This may also be made ahead of time, and reheated.
    2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat oil in a cast-iron or other oven-safe skillet over high heat. Sear steaks quickly on both sides until brown, then place the whole pan into the oven.
    3. Roast steaks in the oven for about 15 minutes for medium rare - with an internal temperature of 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). You may adjust this time to allow the steaks to finish just below your desired degree of doneness if medium is not what you prefer. Remove from the oven, and place on a baking sheet. Stir together the panko crumbs and blue cheese. Top each steak with a layer of this mixture.
    4. Preheat the oven's broiler. Place steaks under the preheated broiler until the cheese topping is browned and bubbly. 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with warm port wine sauce.

• Unknown
    Options
    Chrispy Bob,
    where do you get panko bread or panko bread crumbs?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Jerky Junkie,
    ive found them near the soy/terryaki sauce and near the egg noodles in the supermakets near me.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Jerky Junkie,
    Panko are availible at almost all grocery stores. If not in the breadcrumb section try thre oriental section. Panko are Japenese breadcrumbs. LOL, Tom

• Chrispy Bob
    Chrispy Bob Posts: 93
    Options
    Jerky Junkie,
    Publix carries them as I suspect any large chain will.[p]HTH [p]CB