Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Went to buy my first egg.....

MickeyT
MickeyT Posts: 607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had egg fever for 2 weeks now. Found a place that was having a 30% sale. Ran right over only to be disappointed. They had been sitting outside since the spring. There was rust on several spots, handle hinge, vent at bottom, bolts, top hinges etc. The top was hard to lift (large)like the hinges were stiff. The wind was knocked clear out of my sale. Is this what happens to them when left out doors????? I was so excited about it and now I'm depressed. Wasn't exactly what I expected....... What about the quality of the grill????[p]The large egg was $488. I feel that's a good price.[p]Signed,[p]Bummed out

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    MickeyT.,
    My clay version has been outside for for over 22 years. My cermic ones for over a year. A little rust will not hurt anything. A drop of oil or some WD 40 will loosen the hinges and a little black paint will stop the rust. Get a cover for it and enjoy the last smoker you will ever have to buy.

• MickeyT.,[p] JJ said it. When metal is left bare (once the paint is scratched) out in the rain you have to sort of expect it to corrode a little bit. Sounds like this BGE needs a little TLC. Buy him, give him a cover and some love, and he'll repay you mightily! Remember that Christmas tree in A Charlie Brown Christmas? Maybe you can do the same thing for this BGE that Linus did for that little tree! BTW, $488 for a large BGE is a pretty decent price . . .[p]MikeO
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    MickeyT., tell the store how bad they look and how disappointed you are and see if you can get a little more off. JJ is right. They'll clean right up and in a day or two you'll never know the difference. Good cooking.

• JJ,[p]I left my large egg without a cover for about 5 years, with the old slide (not daisy) top, which rusted and ran down onto the egg. Although I have replaced the slide top, I still have the rusted dripping on the egg. Is there a heat resistant paint that matches the green egg? Or should I continue to ignore it. I now have the egg cover - a little too late.