Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Brisket Attempt

I picked up a 15# Prime packer from Costco the other day.
Estimate that it will be 12 lbs after trimming.
Plan is to have it on the egg by 11:00 PM so that we can eat by 5:00 PM.
S&P at 225 grate fat side up on the XL.
No wrapping this time, just keeping it simple.
I may raise the grate temp to 235 in the morning to speed up the cook.
At 185 Internal I will start checking the flat for tenderness.
If I need to FTC to hold I will wait 30 minutes prior to avoid overcooking.
Hopefully this one will be a winner.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Solid plan-controller I am guessing...You may want to check your post-trim weight.  I have never seen a 3 lb trim on a brisket.  Of course, I may be light-handed with the knife.
    You sound like your past cooks with brisket have missed the mark.  It is a straight-forward cook but the finish-line can be quite tight.  The higher the quality of beef the more latitude you have (my theory anyhow).  And if you have 80-90% of the flat (especially the thickest part) probing like "buttah" then you are there.   About the best cook you can do on any grilling' apparatus.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Thanks, I have a scale so I plan on subtracting the trimed fat to gauge the trimmed weight.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Can I ask why are you trimming at all? Put the fat cap on top, thick side closer to the air vent, don't trim and the biggest piece of advice make sure you wrap it once it's cooked and throw it back on the grill or the oven at 180*F for at least 90minutes
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    1move said:
    Can I ask why are you trimming at all? Put the fat cap on top, thick side closer to the air vent, don't trim and the biggest piece of advice make sure you wrap it once it's cooked and throw it back on the grill or the oven at 180*F for at least 90minutes
    On an XL you want the point at the back.  That's where the hot spot is.  I also like fat side down, because if it sticks, it pulls the fat off not the good stuff. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 1move
    I have an XL my hot spot and fire are at the vent after a long cook. Fat side up for me as it penetrates the meat and keeps it moist throughout. Fat cap down just drops the fat into your BBQ and does nothing for the brisket
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    1move said:
    I have an XL my hot spot and fire are at the vent after a long cook. Fat side up for me as it penetrates the meat and keeps it moist throughout. Fat cap down just drops the fat into your BBQ and does nothing for the brisket
    The fat cap melting won't go into the brisket it just melts away.  I set one leg of the plate setter over the vent so the hot spot is at the back.  I like it the air to flow away from the vent instead of straight up.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dstearn
    It is on at 11:00 PM CST. Point is at 12:00 on the egg, fat cap up. I trimmed per the Aaron Franklin Method. Left 1/4 -1/2 in of fat on top and removed the hard fat that will not render. Grate temp is stable at 225 with the CyberQ. Net wt after trimming was 12 lbs. Costco Prime Packers require a lot of trimming.
    As long as I let it ride at a stable temp and do not open the egg until it hits 185-190 to test for tenderness I should be ok.

• 1move
    Once you reach 180*F internal temp. If you have it get some heavy duty foil and wrap it at least a couple of times. I also wrap it in some food safe heavy duty plastic wrap and throw it back on the BBQ at 180 and let it rest at that temperature for at least a couple of hours.

i also put a piece of foil on the plate setter to collect all the juice. The brisket has worked so hard to get that out and I use that foul as my base to wrap it in.

everyone has their own methods and not saying mine is the best. I learned from a guy that has had a BBQ business for the past 35 years. Works out awesome each time for me. 
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • dstearn
    Plan is not to wrap unless I need to FTC. Once it probes like butter I will let it rest for 30 minutes and then FTC to hold.
  • dstearn
    As of 7:25 AM the brisket has been in the stall since 5 AM. Riding it out as I have plenty of time. 
  • dstearn
    Still climbing out of the stall. 
  • lousubcap
    Ride that bad boy to the finish-line and enjoy.  Great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1move
    Looking good! Which app are you using?
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • dstearn
    Pit Pal which works with the Cyber Q. I just bumped the grate temp to 235. 
  • dstearn
    I checked at the 12 hour mark. Thermopen was at 169 which was the same as the CyberqQ internal reading. Bumped the temp to 140 grate. 
  • dstearn
    edited September 2015
    Had to reposition the meat probe as my reading was higher than the end of the flat. IT is 191. Checking every 15 minutes for tenderness. 
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Looks great
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • dstearn
    The brisket was a success! 90% of the flat was moist! Letting the brisket cool for 20 mins prior to FTC made a difference!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    That looks awesome!  Great cook!!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• dstearn
    mahenryak said:
    That looks awesome!  Great cook!!
    Thanks, it was a defining moment.  =)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Boom! Great post. Briskey looks delicious and those corn holders, wow!!! Nice way to spend a long weekend. 
  • lousubcap
    Nailed it...great result!
  • dstearn
    lousubcap said:
    Nailed it...great result!
    Thanks, I feel like I just graduated from college! Now the question is should I try fat cap down on the XL next time or just stay at fat cap up? 
  • lousubcap
    Go with what works...I'm in the cap down camp-heat shield and if anything sticks it's the fat.  However, as you well know there are many ways to get there with the BGE.  Just enjoy the cook.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Great looking brisket, thanks for sharing your journey. Now I should pick up the courage to try brisket on the egg again :)
    canuckland