Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do ribs??????

Options
JQuinn
JQuinn Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does any have the tried and true way of doing ribs???? If anyone could help out as far has cookig time, what rubs and sauses they like. that would be great. thanks

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    JQuinn,
    [hml]http://www.tm52.com/bge/[/hml] is a great place to start with an overview of the 3-1-1 concept

[ul][li]3-1-1 method per Tim M[/ul]
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    2Spares.jpg
    <p />JQuinn,[p]A very easy way to do spares is to first trim them down to a St. Louis cut, remove the membrane, dust with a mixture of half your favorite rub and half brown sugar or turbinado, and let the ribs set while you establish your fire.
    Use a heat deflector of some kind to create an indirect setup... I use a plate setter.... you can use a pie plate, pizza dish, pizza stone, a piece of foil etc... as long is there is a barrier between the meat and the coals and an airspace between the ribs and deflector.
    Cook the ribs meat side up at 240 - 250 grate level temp for about 5 to 6 hours. Don't open the lid for the first couple of hours... if you really need to look, take off the daisy wheel and peek from the top.
    At some point you can spritz the ribs apple juice to help caramelize the rub and sugar.
    Check the ribs after 4 hours to see if the meat wants to separate from the bone.
    If you want to sauce, brush a light layer on the ribs about 30 - 40 minutes before pulling off.
    With this kind of cook using a heat barrier, I don't turn or move the ribs at all during the entire cook and two racks of St. Louis spares usually cook around 6 hours with this procedure. Good Luck![p]john[p]

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    JQuinn,[p]Look below for a link to my "first ribs" page. Lots of other tips at "chuckls sandbox & BGE web pages". My suggestion for this recipe is to not open the lid too much to spritz - cools the cooker off too much.[p]Happy Eggin!
    Chuck

[ul][li]First Ribs[/ul]